Why does my cat run underfoot? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Why does my cat run underfoot?

I was going to title this thread "My cat loves being kicked"

They're not stupid, so why does he run underfoot when I'm walking? Could it be he likes to be kicked across the room? (accidentally)

Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Amen to this. Shep. Book is *always* underfoot and I trip and step on him constantly.

Worse is in the kitchen. He lays RIGHT behind me so when I turn around to walk I step RIGHT on him. He never seems to learn though.....

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

You have to see the world from the cat point of reference, his world is way down there, he doesn't realize you don't have eye's in your feet.
Also he want to be as close to you as possible, to a cat your their care giver, your Moma.
cooncatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

and this is why i do the "kitty shuffle" and still manage to trip over them.. Sherbert was tripped over by me for 18 years, no they never learn..
BotanyBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

CeCe is the same exact way. She has taught me to shuffle through the house, rather than taking steps. I am afraid to launch her. Lol. She not only stays under foot, but darts around the side of your legs to the front, or even between your legs as you're taking a step.

In my case, she's using me like a giant scratching post, rubbing herself all over me and purring, but I think she likes to stay close and monitor what I am doing, and rubbing against me is just her way of showing affection when I'm up. To be fair, I do pet her a lot as she's walking around, since she's usually in motion when she's wanting affection, so to her, she probably thinks I like it as much as she does. I sometimes think she wonders why I won't just stand in one spot and love on her. But really - it serves a multi-purpose - she gets tactile pleasure while staying part of the action.
SomeRandomChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

In the kitchen it has nothing to do with being close to Mamma. It has EVERYTHING to do with him wanting to hoover any bits of food I might drop.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomChick View Post
I am afraid to launch her. Lol. She not only stays under foot, but darts around the side of your legs to the front, or even between your legs as you're taking a step.
Good term. Toby has been "launched" several times. And yes, as you put it, he is running between my feet right in the middle of my stride.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I learned many years ago to do the "kitty shuffle" when I was into breeding and showing Manx. It was a lot easier to do then than now as I had no tails to worry about stepping on. Now, Alkee especially like to plant herself behind me while I'm working in the kitchen, and can't tell you how many times I've stepped back on her tail. I apologize, she forgives me by looking at me meowing, raising her tail and gently waving the tip, and we carry on. Zuba tends to get under my hubby's feet as he's walking. Crazy cats, what can you do?
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Milky is like that too but only when he sees me coming out from the kitchen as he think it's time to eat!! Half the time end up tripping over him cos I can't see that he just darted in front of me of between my legs!
Milky's Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I'm glad that I'm reading this - I thought Beauty had a death wish! My sister's two cats don't seem to do that to her! My brother in law - who has huge feet - almost squashed her and they said she must have a death wish! Lately, I've been talking as I'm walking slowly and moving from room to room (cause I think I'm giving her heads up "whatch out, I'm coming in!" . She's gotten into hiding under the sofa cover and pounces on me and captures my leg! I actually had a good laugh, because I've become the crazy cat lady that I used to make fun of!!! I didn't know all those years....it's COOL to be a crazy cat lady!!
Beauty Betty Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement