Cats won't stop getting into/breaking things - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Eastern Shore MD, USA
Posts: 284
Send a message via AIM to athomas Send a message via MSN to athomas Send a message via Yahoo to athomas Send a message via Skype™ to athomas
Cats won't stop getting into/breaking things

I'm not sure who does this the most, but it's one of the girls (I have two girls and a boy). They will climb up onto things and push the stuff that is on the thing, off. This involves climbing onto the top of my computers and pushing off my beer steins (like last night) and everything else that was on there, pushing things off the microwave, counters, whatever they can get a hold of. How do I stop them from getting into things? Are there like "cat stay off" things I can get? Waking up to banging in the middle of the night, in a bad neighborhood is a little unnerving, especially when I find out it's the cats.
athomas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Premier Cat
 
MowMow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Looney Bin
Posts: 10,897
Welcome to the world of cats. Time to find a new home for your beer steins and keep your counters and appliances clear

MowMow would knocks stuff off my desk so I learned to keep it pretty clear of anything he'd find interesting. Then I got Shepherd Book and I learned to kep *ALL* surfaces clear. While it's aggravating sometimes, I have to admit, he forces me to keep the place pretty tidy and neat.
MowMow is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Eastern Shore MD, USA
Posts: 284
Send a message via AIM to athomas Send a message via MSN to athomas Send a message via Yahoo to athomas Send a message via Skype™ to athomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Welcome to the world of cats. Time to find a new home for your beer steins and keep your counters and appliances clear
Well I'm certain it's the middle cat, and she's been acting out more since her apparent herpes outbreak (see my thread about her eye issue). Supposedly stress brings this on. Do they act out more with stressed?
athomas is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Cool Cat
 
yingying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
MowMow would knocks stuff off my desk so I learned to keep it pretty clear of anything he'd find interesting. Then I got Shepherd Book and I learned to kep *ALL* surfaces clear. While it's aggravating sometimes, I have to admit, he forces me to keep the place pretty tidy and neat.
Interesting... I'm on the other end of the story... My desk/coffee table/any surfaces are all messy. As long as there is no object small enough for my cats to swallow, I won't have any problem. My cats like to walk on the surfaces, but they never knock off anything. It's amazing to see how they walking through all those empty cans/cups with water/etc. without knocking them. If something is really blocking their way, they jump over it.

I've always thought all cats are like that. Kinda like a hunting instinct -- you don't want to make a sound or you will scare off the prey. But obviously I was wrong

yingying is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Eastern Shore MD, USA
Posts: 284
Send a message via AIM to athomas Send a message via MSN to athomas Send a message via Yahoo to athomas Send a message via Skype™ to athomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingying View Post
Interesting... I'm on the other end of the story... My desk/coffee table/any surfaces are all messy. As long as there is no object small enough for my cats to swallow, I won't have any problem. My cats like to walk on the surfaces, but they never knock off anything. It's amazing to see how they walking through all those empty cans/cups with water/etc. without knocking them. If something is really blocking their way, they jump over it.

I've always thought all cats are like that. Kinda like a hunting instinct -- you don't want to make a sound or you will scare off the prey. But obviously I was wrong
Yeah they are like that a lot of times, but I think they are intentionally pushing things over.
athomas is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Cool Cat
 
yingying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,225
My cats are quite picky about things they want to push over. Must be small sized, must be ball or tube shaped, and must be new (if that object has been on the surface for a day, they lose interest). Should I consider myself lucky?

yingying is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Eastern Shore MD, USA
Posts: 284
Send a message via AIM to athomas Send a message via MSN to athomas Send a message via Yahoo to athomas Send a message via Skype™ to athomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingying View Post
My cats are quite picky about things they want to push over. Must be small sized, must be ball or tube shaped, and must be new (if that object has been on the surface for a day, they lose interest). Should I consider myself lucky?
I'd consider yourself lucky!

I heard cats hate citrus smells. Maybe something like that can repel them from a couple areas that I have in mind? I'm sure there are cat repellants out there...lol
athomas is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Carmichael, CA.
Posts: 1,426
Chiquita likes to sit on the arm of my chair while I'm watching TV and paw at everything that's on the side table and knock it to the floor.
She has no interests in the objects once they're on the floor.
cooncatbob is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Cool Cat
 
yingying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by athomas View Post
I heard cats hate citrus smells. Maybe something like that can repel them from a couple areas that I have in mind? I'm sure there are cat repellants out there...lol
You surely can try. That's what I've heard and that's actually a suggestion I gave to many people. However, I'm afraid not all cats hate citrus smells. My Meatball does, but Metoo doesn't. She actually likes to steal my tangerine and play with it. So I guess you have to try to find out

As for the cat repellant, I bought one can from petsmart before. It has a weird aweful smell making it almost human repellant as well. But my cats don't seem to mind it

yingying is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Cat Addict
 
dweamgoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,957
I have 4 cats and before I installed the climbing shelves for them on the wall, they would knock things off of surfaces to covet choice spots for naps and when chasing each other. They have always had a window perch, a cat tree, and are always welcomed on the couches and have taken over the ottomans, but for some reason, they liked the coffee tables, entertainment center, etc. Maybe provide more vertical space for them to have more control of where they can hang out vs places that are off limits?

I can now keep picture frames on top of, and actually use both my coffee tables without worrying about them knocking stuff off of them.

DweamGoiL

dweamgoil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome