Cats won't stop getting into/breaking things - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Cats won't stop getting into/breaking things

I'm not sure who does this the most, but it's one of the girls (I have two girls and a boy). They will climb up onto things and push the stuff that is on the thing, off. This involves climbing onto the top of my computers and pushing off my beer steins (like last night) and everything else that was on there, pushing things off the microwave, counters, whatever they can get a hold of. How do I stop them from getting into things? Are there like "cat stay off" things I can get? Waking up to banging in the middle of the night, in a bad neighborhood is a little unnerving, especially when I find out it's the cats.
athomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Welcome to the world of cats. Time to find a new home for your beer steins and keep your counters and appliances clear

MowMow would knocks stuff off my desk so I learned to keep it pretty clear of anything he'd find interesting. Then I got Shepherd Book and I learned to kep *ALL* surfaces clear. While it's aggravating sometimes, I have to admit, he forces me to keep the place pretty tidy and neat.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Welcome to the world of cats. Time to find a new home for your beer steins and keep your counters and appliances clear
Well I'm certain it's the middle cat, and she's been acting out more since her apparent herpes outbreak (see my thread about her eye issue). Supposedly stress brings this on. Do they act out more with stressed?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
MowMow would knocks stuff off my desk so I learned to keep it pretty clear of anything he'd find interesting. Then I got Shepherd Book and I learned to kep *ALL* surfaces clear. While it's aggravating sometimes, I have to admit, he forces me to keep the place pretty tidy and neat.
Interesting... I'm on the other end of the story... My desk/coffee table/any surfaces are all messy. As long as there is no object small enough for my cats to swallow, I won't have any problem. My cats like to walk on the surfaces, but they never knock off anything. It's amazing to see how they walking through all those empty cans/cups with water/etc. without knocking them. If something is really blocking their way, they jump over it.

I've always thought all cats are like that. Kinda like a hunting instinct -- you don't want to make a sound or you will scare off the prey. But obviously I was wrong
Old 12-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingying View Post
Interesting... I'm on the other end of the story... My desk/coffee table/any surfaces are all messy. As long as there is no object small enough for my cats to swallow, I won't have any problem. My cats like to walk on the surfaces, but they never knock off anything. It's amazing to see how they walking through all those empty cans/cups with water/etc. without knocking them. If something is really blocking their way, they jump over it.

I've always thought all cats are like that. Kinda like a hunting instinct -- you don't want to make a sound or you will scare off the prey. But obviously I was wrong
Yeah they are like that a lot of times, but I think they are intentionally pushing things over.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My cats are quite picky about things they want to push over. Must be small sized, must be ball or tube shaped, and must be new (if that object has been on the surface for a day, they lose interest). Should I consider myself lucky?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingying View Post
My cats are quite picky about things they want to push over. Must be small sized, must be ball or tube shaped, and must be new (if that object has been on the surface for a day, they lose interest). Should I consider myself lucky?
I'd consider yourself lucky!

I heard cats hate citrus smells. Maybe something like that can repel them from a couple areas that I have in mind? I'm sure there are cat repellants out there...lol
Old 12-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Chiquita likes to sit on the arm of my chair while I'm watching TV and paw at everything that's on the side table and knock it to the floor.
She has no interests in the objects once they're on the floor.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by athomas View Post
I heard cats hate citrus smells. Maybe something like that can repel them from a couple areas that I have in mind? I'm sure there are cat repellants out there...lol
You surely can try. That's what I've heard and that's actually a suggestion I gave to many people. However, I'm afraid not all cats hate citrus smells. My Meatball does, but Metoo doesn't. She actually likes to steal my tangerine and play with it. So I guess you have to try to find out

As for the cat repellant, I bought one can from petsmart before. It has a weird aweful smell making it almost human repellant as well. But my cats don't seem to mind it
Old 12-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have 4 cats and before I installed the climbing shelves for them on the wall, they would knock things off of surfaces to covet choice spots for naps and when chasing each other. They have always had a window perch, a cat tree, and are always welcomed on the couches and have taken over the ottomans, but for some reason, they liked the coffee tables, entertainment center, etc. Maybe provide more vertical space for them to have more control of where they can hang out vs places that are off limits?

I can now keep picture frames on top of, and actually use both my coffee tables without worrying about them knocking stuff off of them.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement