Thundershirt works? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Thundershirt works?

Has anybody tried Thundershirt?

Clipping Paizly's claws, and giving her daily medicine, she acts like I'm trying to KILL her! I got a muzzle for the claw thing, and it works that I don't get bitten...but it's still quite stressful for her. And it covers the mouth, so I can't use it for medicine (if it had a bigger breathing hole, I might be able to)

My friend has a shirt for her dog, but honestly - I couldn't really tell any difference in him. He's rather old and probably couldn't get physically wound up about going to the vet even if he wanted to (poor guy can barely walk anyway!)

There is a money-back guarantee, but you have to return it within 45 days, and they suggest trying it on every day for a week (or more) to see if it works... that would mean I would have to cut it pretty close with enough trial scenarios and getting it in the mail on time (for some reason I always get things quick, but returning seems to take FOREVER)

Any help/experience stories/opinions appreciated!
Vivid Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I have them for my 2 thunder-phobic dogs, and they DO seem to help.

However, I can't imagine putting one on a cat. That just seems like a futile effort, LOL, and most cats would be WAY more upset by the outfit than by whatever was upsetting them in the first place.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

What medicine are you giving, and in what form? Is it something that you will have to give forever or just for a while?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I've seen the thundershirts and they're quite heavy elasticized material that fits very snugly around the body (and I think the legs too, but not sure about that). If you have an elasticized tube top (child size perhaps) you might put that on and see how the cat reacts to it. It would be cheaper than buying one and then having to return it if it didn't work out. If Paizly is the type of cat that likes to be held tight and finds it comforting then it would likely work, but if not imo wouldn't. By what you say about clipping claws, etc. doesn't sound like she would like it.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

They are for dogs. Most cats don't like to be held closely.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Ohhh, a tube shirt is a great idea (and cheaper, especially if just trying it out).
And she does hate being held (I can pet her alright, but ANY sort of restraining and she gets all upset). You'd think after 10 years, all her feralness would be out of her by now!

The medicine I give is Methigel. It's supposed to be palatable (good tasting) for cats, but she will not eat it. Alone OR mixed up in food. If I don't give it to her, urine PH goes back up to 7 and infection sets in. (I slacked off the last couple weeks, to give her a break from all the "wrestling" every morning, and last night she went to 4 different spots before finally getting out a tiny dribble...so I think she's infected AGAIN).
There are pills, but that wouldn't be much better than syringing the gel to her anyway (plus, pills aren't metabolized by the body as well as liquids are).

Maybe I should just euthanize her, so she doesn't have to deal with all this junk anymore (she doesn't like Zinny always trying to play with her, either!)
Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Just curious . . . what do you feed her? The reason most domestic cats' pH is wrong is b/c of how they eat. Switching to a species-appropriate diet might well fix the problem.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Currently I'm in the process of switching her to raw. Morning she gets ground "stuff" (80% muscle, 10% organ/liver mix) which usually she only nibbles at, and in the evening she gets Nutro Max canned.
Next Monday I'm gonna try giving her 1/4 of a rock/cornish game hen and see if she goes for any of it. If not, she'll get canned food at night, just so she has something to eat (being 11 years old, I don't want to risk the liver issues from not eating on a regular basis)

Most of the UTI diets I can't feed her, because they have corn-something in the first few ingredients, and corn-whatever make her sick (throws them up EVERY time after about 5 minutes)
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Great! I think you'll find that once she's eating raw you can stop the Methigel.

Try coating the game hen w/ tuna juice. Also, try cutting it into pieces at first (scissors work well for this).
Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
They are for dogs. Most cats don't like to be held closely.
Thundershirt has just come out with a cat version.

I sell the dog version in my store and feedback is pretty good. I haven't brought in the cat version yet. I wouldn't equate a cat being held by a person to the feeling a Thundershirt would give them. Cats tend to like small enclosed spaces like boxes...the shirts are meant to provide that type of feeling.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement