Need play ideas for lazy cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Need play ideas for lazy cat

I have lazy cat. When I try to play with her, she might chase the ball/mouse/laser pointer 1-2 times across the room, but then she prefers to sit and watch/stalk it. I can't get her moving for any extended length of time.

I've tried a variety of toys, including The Cat Dancer, with no luck. She would just rather watch than chase.

I am rebooting my efforts to get her to lose weight, but she has the metabolism of a slug, and she acts like one too.

Help?
GingerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My girls both like curling ribbon swished back and forth across the floor. They hear the slight rustling and they try to chomp on the part that's in the air. They also like anything moving under a cover of some sort. I fold a towel over and move a wand toy under it. Their eyes get as big as saucers and they pounce on it and try to pull up the towel. Of course, that's not necessarily a whole lot of moving around, but it's something.

If you feed kibble, I roll once piece at a time across the wood floor in the kitchen, and Margaux, who's pretty lazy, loves to run after it, "catch" it, and eat it. Celia isn't interested, but she's a cat who eats to live, whereas Margaux is a cat who lives to eat.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Have you tried Da Bird? It's a great toy. My cats reaaaaally enjoy it
Old 08-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

My Oscar could be your cat's sister LOL! His idea of exercise is laying on his side next to the turbo track while I whip the ball around and he slowly swipes at it with one paw! He will get moving a little bit more if I pull his wand toy under a piece of paper; he might even pounce!

So, we "go hunting". When it is time for him to eat I take his food bowl and he follows me. We do several laps around the dining room table and then out to the front windows and "jog" back into the kitchen where I put his bowl down for him to eat. He is highly food motivated so I found that this works.

I used to have him chase kibble but decided it was too dangerous for him to eat things that fell on the floor. I was taking care of my elderly mother at the time and she sometimes dropped pills on the floor. If you don't have that type of issue, it is a great way to get them to move.
OSCARSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Have you tried the balls that you fill with kibble? My aunts cat loved food so she bought that, I think you would have to fill it out of the kibble he gets part of his meals as it will be the same if he uses it, he would probably burn off one by the time he got the next!
M aunts cat was slow to get the hang of it but after us pushing it about for her a few times she got the idea on how to do it, keep a eye on I'm though her other cat cracked a way to get the food without moving by keeping it next to a wall...

Crafty ninja kitty...
kit-e-kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit-e-kat View Post
Have you tried the balls that you fill with kibble? My aunts cat loved food so she bought that, I think you would have to fill it out of the kibble he gets part of his meals as it will be the same if he uses it, he would probably burn off one by the time he got the next!
M aunts cat was slow to get the hang of it but after us pushing it about for her a few times she got the idea on how to do it, keep a eye on I'm though her other cat cracked a way to get the food without moving by keeping it next to a wall...

Crafty ninja kitty...
i bought two of the balls and one toy with a rattle inside it kind of like a top that you put food in. every single one of my cats figured out how to make all the food fall out at once. only my youngest will play with the top thing and he just lays there and fishes the food out of the hole, he doesn't make it spin around at all lol.

cat dancer makes a toy called the cat charmer which is a long string on the end, also da bird like ying ying says is always a hit (they will jump and fly through the air for it) and also any toy that has object sensor like the roomba, i had a ball that did it, it would change direction when it hit the wall, that kind of thing seems to make them more curious because it's like a living thing. plus walk around with his food like oscar's mom says, that's a really good idea.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
So, we "go hunting". When it is time for him to eat I take his food bowl and he follows me. We do several laps around the dining room table and then out to the front windows and "jog" back into the kitchen where I put his bowl down for him to eat. He is highly food motivated so I found that this works.
This one made me laugh. We used to live in a bigger place with two floors. Ginger was fed upstairs from where we spent most of our time. Sometimes at dinner time I would walk toward the stairs multiple times to see how many times I could get her to run upstairs before she realized I wasn't going to follow her. I just thought I was being mean, but I guess she was getting exercise too. I think we will have to start "hunting" here too.

Thanks for the other ideas too! I will give them a try!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

We just played "toss the kibble." Worked really well, but she got tired after less than 10 pieces. So sad. Oh well, I guess that's why we need to do this more!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Think of it like working out - she's got to build up stamina.

I tap a piece on the floor then slide it back and forth a little before letting it skitter. When Margaux could still see, the minute she heard the sliding noise, her pupils would get huge and she'd assume pounce position. Being lazy though, she'd try to cut it off before it got very far by sticking a paw out. Well, then the kibble would carom off her paw and around the room like a pinball. Now *that* was fun to watch - much insane running to retrieve a tiny piece of kibble. I never told her that I didn't think the effort was worth the reward.

Now that she's blind, she has to move slowly and carefully, and sometimes she can't find the kibble when it's literally under her nose. But she still enjoys the chase.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

I would recommend Da Bird & Neko flies teaser wand toy's

they are both fantastic interactive toy's with changeable attachments all 4 of my cat's LOVE them.

Victoriax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement