Help: Just got a new kitten and my old cat HATES her - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Help: Just got a new kitten and my old cat HATES her

Ok guys so I decided to rescue this beautiful little female kitten. I have Jinx who is 1.5 years old and I've had him 1 year 3 months. I introduced them slowly and things seemed to be going ok. A couple hours later he was hissing and in return she hisses and makes that guttural noise. He has swiped at her and hit her a few times but its not been with claws. I also changed the litter to fresh litter. They have their own feeding dishes with a mutual fountain in the middle.

I was up and down all last night just to make sure things didn't escalate. This morning he is still aggressive and even hissing at me sometimes when I touch him after touching her. He has never hissed at me before. I sent him to our bedroom for a while. I thought about getting Comfort Zone to help the transition. I'm worried because my boyfriend and I both work during the day.

I honestly didn't think it would be that big of a deal because in general, Jinx is so mild mannered and laid back. He gets along with everyone. One thing I thought was her foster parents have a 27 pound male cat--could his scent possibly be on Pia and that's what is causing the over aggression? Or is this t caliber of aggression normal?

Any help/info is appreciated.

Last edited by marie73; 08-19-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: removed link
kiesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Sounds like you introduced them too fast too soon. It's probably best to separate them for a while, and by a while I mean several days, not just a couple of hours.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas718 View Post
Sounds like you introduced them too fast too soon. It's probably best to separate them for a while, and by a while I mean several days, not just a couple of hours.
Right now he is in my bedroom because of the excessive hissing. Should I alternate them out? Bring him out with me and put her back and vice versa? I'm sorry but I'm new to the multiple cat thing
Old 08-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Jinx is behaving normally for a cat that has just met another cat. Depending on the cats, introductions can take days, weeks or months. They are rarely accomplished in a few hours. Here are some good guidelines to follow:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat
Old 08-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Jinx is behaving normally for a cat that has just met another cat. Depending on the cats, introductions can take days, weeks or months. They are rarely accomplished in a few hours. Here are some good guidelines to follow:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat
Probably the best advice anyone could give.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Definitely introduced them too fast. The kitten should be isolated in a "safe" room and the "incumbent" cat given run of the house the majority of the time. By putting him in a room away from the humans you are punishing him for acting on his instincts...this new little interloper is invading his territory and he's defending it. They should not be given free run of the house together for days or even weeks. Leaving them home alone together even longer.

You've been give a link to one good introduction article. Google "cat introduction" and you'll find many more. I also recommend getting Cat vs Cat by Pam Bennett Johnson (or Johnson Bennett...I can never remember which it is)...excellent info for multi cat households.

The good news is that kitten to young adult intros usually go fairly quickly and easily when done right. This really shouldn't take more than a few days to a week...but you need to proceed at their pace, not yours.

Oh...and another reason for isolating the new little one for a few days is to ensure that she is healthy, especially since she's a rescue. It may not be immediately obvious that she has fleas, parasites, ringworm etc and you don't want to pass that on to your current cat if you can help it.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Small suggestion: let them have each others blankets so they really get used to each others smells before re-introducing.

I was fortunate enough to have the world's easiest introduction with the last two youngsters I brought home but, even then, we had a blanket they had been using in the sanctuary laid out on the living room floor for a couple of days before they arived so all the cats could have a good sniff.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

It's true you need to separate them or some time and let your original cat used to the idea that there's a new cat around and he's staying. What we did is separate for about a week before we started small introductions. The first introduction was my husband walking into the room holding our original cat just so he could make eye contact. Then the second time; still holding him he would stay for longer. Third time we let him walk into the room on his own terms while we supervised and so on. Each visit got longer. There's always going to be hissing and swiping during those times but that's just him saying, " hey, I'm boss here, and this is my territory."
The hissing and swiping will eventually stop, it just takes time.
My first cat doesn't like it when the others get too close while he's near me, or he doesn't like them getting too close while he's eating his treats. He gets what I call, territorial and I understand.
I always try to intervene before a "situation" happens, but sometimes the newer residents just have to learn. ( don't get too close while eating, let the other cat have his "special time.". It's amazing, but they do learn. And before you know it, everyone's playing together and seeking each other out for company.
Be sure the true aggressiveness has stopped ( where someone is likely to be injured ) before leaving them home alone together.
Luvmyfurbabies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyfurbabies View Post
The first introduction was my husband walking into the room holding our original cat just so he could make eye contact. Then the second time; still holding him he would stay for longer.
I don't recommend this at all...it's a great way to get bitten or scratched. Better to let them see each other by propping the door open an inch or two or through baby gates.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I realize that I did introduce them too soon and have been doing better about keeping them separated. I give them there own time + time together with me. The only reason I sometimes put my guy in the bedroom as well is because that's where he is a lot so he's very territorial plus I want to give her a chance to explore. Lots of times when I go in the bedroom to retrieve him (its never for a long amount of time) he's on his favorite blanket making eyes with me as I walk in.

While she was a "rescue" the people who rescued her had her up to date on immunizations, spaying and even treated her for ear mites. They wanted to keep her but they have a 27 pound main-coon, 2 other cats inside, 4 outside cats, a dog, bird and a daughter in college lolllll! I say get rid of the others and keep her (joke). I'm glad that she made the decision to put her up for adoption. I also use Revolution on Jinx and will do so on her when its time. Ironically he has his routine checkup/immunizations in two weeks and I've scheduled Pia for a checkup next week. I wrote a separate post in error when I should have responded here... I've copied below ....

So its been a busy two days. I'm a wee bit sleep deprived due to the new kitten but its well worth it. I'm puzzled by Jinx's behavior. I have now started to separate them more throughout the day. I make sure to spend time with the other while one is in a room and then I alternate and spend time with the other. Separating seems to calm them both down. When I'm sitting down, I usually let them together for a while and there seems to be a lot of curiosity going on. Jinx is still lightly tapping her (no claws) however, he is also doing other things.

He's been batting his eyes at her, starring at her curiously, if she's somewhere, he'll lay down 2-3 feet away on his side with his front paws up making eyes. But if she tries to walk by, he jumps up--sometimes he swats her and chases her under the bed or other times he just follows her with his eyes. He'll run up on her like he's gonna hit her but he stops and wants to sniff and she hisses and then he either backs off or may hiss back. His behavior towards her almost seems that he is becoming more curious and wants to play? I'm curious to know your thoughts.

She has become more bold with him as well. This morning she kept pushing her ball over his way and running up to it even when it was right in his face. He looked baffled that she even tried it and hissed somewhat but didn't hit her or move. One other thing, for instance now I have Jinx in here in the office with me. I'm letting Pia get a run of her new home. Jinx is whining and begging to get out. And earlier when I had her in the bedroom by herself, he was outside of the bedroom whining--almost like he wanted to her to come out.

I know that it is a process and will take a while before they are BFF's but I do feel like they'll eventually be buds. They have improved greatly since Friday so there is some progress there. I have been making sure to rub them both at the same time and maybe alternate hands so that I put the other scent on each. I also have been given treats when they are both in the room and making sure to talk to them both and just show them love esp Jinx so that he is not threatened.

Update of the update: OMG, she just hopped up on him and laid down and batted her eyes, his eyes were big for a while then he started giving lovey dovey eyes and shook her and she fell into the crook of his paw. He's licking her head now and she's purring!

Last edited by kiesha; 08-19-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement