New kitten always hungry - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tom Cat

My Atlas is a food horde. Ever since I first got him, which he was abandoned by his mother or she was killed or taken away by animal control.. He was all alone for days by himself at 3-4 weeks. As soon as I come home from work, he's running in circles around my feet squeaking, squealing, doing back flips and screeching for food. I have to be really careful now, because at 3 months old, he is big enough to jump from the floor onto my counter top and he WILL knock over his bag of food just to get into it quicker.

Apollo is a lot more relaxed about it, he purrs and rubs himself against my legs and mews at me until he gets his food. Atlas also goes after Apollo's food, it's the weirdest thing. They both mostly eat the same food, and they rotate to each others bowls until it's all gone. I can't free feed because they're both pigs. Apollo will eat EVERY LAST BITE of any food, in one sitting, as will Atlas. The only difference is that Atlas shoves his face in his food and eats as fast as he can. Apollo takes his time, he knows he'll get fed, he's used to the schedule. Silly cats.

I also have to hide every kind of human food from them. I made the mistake of leaving a loaf of bread in the bottom of my island cabinet and when I came home from work, they had managed to tear the bag open from a half-inch space and ate a quarter of a load of bread between the both of them. Chips, bread, PASTA, anything they can get open, they will devour. As if they don't get fed plenty of food.

But yeah, it's totally normal. The kitten should grow out of it after awhile.

Last edited by Shenanigans; 10-12-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Cat

You know, Yoshi and Bear will rotate bowls too... I've always found it weird since their food is usually the same (minus the morning when Bear's has L-lysine and probiotics in it, at which time I won't let them rotate). Bear will growl in the beginning at Yoshi as if he's not busy eating his own food, but after they've both had a good amount and taken a break, they'll switch bowls without any fuss.
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Kitten

One thing to note, feeding kitten extra does not mean free feeding kitten. Dont just leave food out for him. Its a bad habit and kittens dont know when to stop.

Everyone agrees, kittens need more and might show a bit of persistence or agression to get it.
MosesBinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I don't free feed them, they both would gorge...The older cat would eat until he couldn't fit through the doorway it seems...
hllewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I've had some rescue kittens come in that would growl over their food bowl. The behavior (growling) disappeared after a few weeks of consistent meals when they learned that there will always be food. It just takes a little time. They'll continue to pig out after that, but hopefully more quietly
Venusworld21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tom Cat

If the youngster is disrupting your meals, give him a small meal before you sit down to eat to satiate his food drive. If he still bugs during meals you can either lock him up during dinner for family unity for just continue putting him on the floor until he learns manners.

Kittens don't have many brains and are totally focused only on what THEY want. I often locked them up in their own room until they learned manners.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement