Cruel keeping my cat indoors? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My older cat, Onyx, loves to watch outside, and before we moved to a big city into an apartment, we were living in the midwest in a house. We used to let onyx out, (on leash) to hang out in the backyard since he would always stare out the window. Just like you, we felt like he is missing something....he didn't last 20 minutes outside, before sneaking back into the house. We tried it at least a dozen times, putting him on a leash when we were having a drink outside...he would always sneak back in. So no, only because your cat is staring out the window, doesn't mean he will like it there more. Maybe he is thinking to himself how the outside must suck.
onyxsham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My older cats are indoor / outdoors - my younger ones only go out supervised - but if I lived in your setting, none of them would go out. Given your circumstances, you aren't being cruel, just practical.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I agree with above post, you are doing the best for your cat. You can, of course take him out on a harness? Feels silly but i do it with my young one. No animal in the entire world is happy to be indoors its whole life, its completely unnatural. So of course he wants to be out. That doesnt mean that you arent doing the right thing right now, though. If you buy a different house one day, he can experience the outdoors then.
MosesBinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Kitten

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for the feed back and the encouragement. I feel better about my decision, as for the harness, were still working on getting him comfortable with it. Right now if I open the door to the hallway he will wonder out, but the door to outside...he gets scared and runs back into my apartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Centcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lor
Kitten

I struggled with this decision (I'm in Montreal too) and my 2 are indoor cats. My older cat Grace used to be an outdoor cat but would stay in the yard and lounge around our property - after we moved she got out of the house and was missing for 11 days. After that I decided she was going to stay indoors, those 11 days were so awful and as I thought of all the things that could have happened to her I realized I just didn't feel comfortable with the risk. She's adapted really well.

On the other hand I was a bit torn about keeping the younger one in, we found her outdoors and she often tries to run to the door or sits in the window and cries. I feel guilty that she doesn't have the freedom to explore the neighborhood but we live in a busy street and have even had a neighbors cat die in our driveway after being struck by a car, it was a sad reminder about why I keep my babies home. I think my guilt comes from the fact that she was content being in the house until I got the puppy, I think she wants to go out now just to get a bit of a break from his hyper antics.
Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement