Cruel keeping my cat indoors? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cruel keeping my cat indoors?

I adopted my 2 year old cat 5 weeks ago and since then he has been begging to go outside. I live in an small studio apartment with no yard, and no balcony. I want him to be an indoor cat, since the winters here in Montreal are harsh, and since being outdoors is what probably got him "in trouble" and picked up by the SPCA in the first place. I have tried taking him outside with a harness and leash but hes too frighten to leave the hallway of our apartment building.

But I cant help but feel bad when he stares out the Window and cries. My apartment is small but Im home all day to pet and play with him; he has access to the closet, under the bed, and the much visited the bathtub, he has many toys, what else can I do?

Will he get use to being inside? How long will it take? I just want to make him happy. Thank you.
Centcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quite opposite. It's cruel to keep your cat outdoors, especially living in a big city. Sounds like he's scared to go out anyways. Cats love watching outside but doesn't mean he wants to be outside. Yes he will adjust, there's no set time but he will adjust at his own pace, don't push him. I'm sure he is happy and you have done everything to make sure he is... You are doing a great job.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3furbabies View Post
Quite opposite. It's cruel to keep your cat outdoors, especially living in a big city. Sounds like he's scared to go out anyways. Cats love watching outside but doesn't mean he wants to be outside. Yes he will adjust, there's no set time but he will adjust at his own pace, don't push him. I'm sure he is happy and you have done everything to make sure he is... You are doing a great job.
I second this.

My cat loves to look outside and feel the breeze through the screen. But, it is safer inside
BigDaveyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I'm going through something similar with Twiddledee.
Twiddledee was abandoned in January 2012, at which time he found the feral/stray cat colony I take care of. So, he's lived outdoors for the last nine months. I removed him from the colony because he wasn't putting any weight on his front right paw, and I was concerned he couldn't run fast enough to hunt for food. He's in my second bedroom, I plan to adopt him out when I resolve the paw issue(s).
He still cries and yowls to get out, especially at night. But less so. I've ignored his yowls at night time and try to spend time with him when I'm home (I'm gone 11 hours M-Friday). But he is very affectionate, head butts and scent marks me a lot, and lays in a submissive position (even when first meeting Ritz, my resident cat). He clearly wants to be around people.
Do you know the background of your 2 year old cat? Does your cat seek you out or ignore you? Does she seem happy otherwise? I would try to play a lot with him, especially hunt and prey type of games.
And as the other posters pointed out: outdoors is really dangerous and it sounds like he is scared to venture far. I would experiment with opening the windows--do you have a screen door, window? In Twiddledee's case, I actually think it makes it worse. Twiddledee clawed open the screen door on Saturday, but came back on his own 12 hours later--to the FRONT of the house. He's only seen the back of my house. Miracle.
Ritzpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I've had people go on and on about how much happier their cats are being in and outdoor cats, but they always seem to have ground-floor house/apartments with gardens and trees in the surrounding areas.

I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment complex in the heart of Glasgow with no gardens or trees for about 3/4 to 1 mile away and have busy streets all around the block.

Apart from the practical side of letting my cats come and go which would entail me either physically opening the apartment complex' front door each time or tearing a whole through it for a cat-flap, something my neighbours wouldn't be thrilled about, I hoenstly don't think they 'd enjoy dodging cars and some of the nasty dogs my in the area.

I would think it EXTREMELY negligent of me to expose them to a dangerous habitat which isn't even their natural one.

Furthermore, 2 of my friends lost one of their babies this year, 1 ate some lilly plant (they'r either all or most of them extremely toxic to kitties) and the other got a very nasty toxic infection to a wound that the vet didn't get to early enough to treat properly.

Needless to say they are still devastated about this and I don't think I could ever forgive myself if something bad happened to my boys.
Cat-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My kitties are purrfectly happy indoors and love to sit in the open window. Cats who have spent time outdoors may miss it though. Can you fit a cat tree or shelves next to the window to give some vertical space and a perch?

My neice's kitty, Kaly-cat, was born in a feral colony and wants to go out sometimes. She meows to be let out, but now its cold outside, so she takes two steps out the door and turns around to go back in. She still wants to try again later...with the same result. They live in a rural area with a fenced back yard, so its a little safer for a cat than city (but not completely safe, they lost the previous cat, Garfield, to roaming dogs who came into the yard). Now when they let Kaly-cat out, they leave the sliding door open just enough so she can get back in on her own if a dog is chasing her.
CJinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzpg View Post
Do you know the background of your 2 year old cat? Does your cat seek you out or ignore you? Does she seem happy otherwise?
I have no background information on my cat Just that the SPCA picked him up during a nightly sweep of Montreal. He doesnt seek me as much as he seeks my boyfriend, I am home all day so I think I smother him. He really enjoys following my boyfriend around. We do enjoy playing together though, and he likes when I brush him. I believe he is happy, but hes my first cat so how can I tell?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3furbabies View Post
Thank you this makes me feel less cruel, after all I do really want whats best for him.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I do not feel cruel keeping my boys as indoor only. Shepherd Book hates outside. I took him out on the leash once and the first car that drove my freaked him out so bad he hurt himself wiggling out of the harness. I was VERY lucky to catch him before he really ran off. Now he wants NO part of outside. When I open the front door he backs away and steers clear.

MowMow LOVES being outside when the weather is nice and always wants out. I'll allow him out on a leash in a harness and only that way. It's just not safe where i live to let them roam.

They are clear of fleas, safe from feline diseases, safe from the diseases that can be cause by immunization from feline diseases, safe from predators (animal AND human), and safe from cars.

They have lots of toys, I play interactively with them for long periods of time each day and even longer on the weekends, the windows are always open (sometimes it might only be cracked in the winter) so they can sit in the window and smell the outside, and they have each other to keep busy when I'm gone.

I don't feel bad in the slightest keeping them inside. Anymore than a parent would feel bad for telling their child they can't do something stupid like ski off the roof. I keep them in because it's safest for them and the best thing I can do for them.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centcent View Post
I have no background information on my cat Just that the SPCA picked him up during a nightly sweep of Montreal. He doesnt seek me as much as he seeks my boyfriend, I am home all day so I think I smother him. He really enjoys following my boyfriend around. We do enjoy playing together though, and he likes when I brush him. I believe he is happy, but hes my first cat so how can I tell?
If he enjoys your company and that of your boyfriend and enjoys being brushed, and doesn't run away from you, then he's happy. Ritz is my first cat, first pet ever actually; Twiddledee is my first long-time rescue (and very different cat and circumstances than the other cats I co-fostered).
I ask myself the same question about Twiddledee; on the one hand he seems content in my presence (he seeks me out), on the other hand, he stares outside the door a lot and meows. He seems quieter when I am in the same room. I tell him--and myself--that he will be glad he is inside when it's raining cats and dogs outside (Sandy) and 10 inches of snow on the ground.
Ritzpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement