Cats and the Christmas tree? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cat

We had one up last year and my oldest and at the time only cat just liked to look at the lights,but she never bothered it. Now that we have a 9 month old, it should be interesting to see if he can restrain himself. He may surprise us and leave it alone.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll_Joy View Post
First Christmas with our little feline....We are getting a real tree and have plastic ornaments. We plan on usuing wall anchors but are still a little worried!
I don't know if it's already been said but I think I read somewhere once that real trees are toxic or poisonous to cats? I could be wrong though
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cat

We have 1 4 year old cat and 2 8 week old kittens. We haven't had a Christmas with cats yet as Tinker is a rescue and came to us this January. We got just a cheap artificial tree and I made my own ornaments out of felt so no breakages when the tree is climbed! Can't speak for the tree though.. it might not survive!
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cat

Just put up our new tree today and the cats stalked each other around it all afternoon, lol. This tree is flimsier and "balder" than the tree we had last year so Tigerlilly has been using it to play peek-a-boo with Tucker. She stands up on her hind legs and peeks through the empty spots to see where he's at. I foresee her knocking the tree over before the month is over, lol. She didn't really bother it last year but now that she has a play mate, the stakes have changed.
tigre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Four years ago this Christmas I bought a brand new 6 1/2 foot artificial Christmas tree. Within a week all the bows were pointing toward the floor as the cats had broken them because they kept climbing it. I have a 2 foot tall one now (my kids are on their own now). I guess I'll see how it and the lights around the windows fair this year.
Penny135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #26 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My cat used to like climbing tree but a firm no and rolled up newspaper usually get them to stop. One of my cat Marshmellow (before he passed away) used to love Christmas tree and would always nap under it. He never tried to climb the tree once.
koneko_otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Cat

When I was breeding cats bac in the 1980s and 1990s, we did not do a tree. We did a large wreath hung on the wall and decorated like a tree. We had twenty-four cats then and every year despite nailing it to the floor and wall anchoring it, the cats would have the tree stripped and on the floor after as few as four days. The wreath was a compromise. And the cats still tried to jump up on the wreath and strip it bare!
Rosie, Dora, Sterling Silver,
Audie and Lillen. Also multiple
birds.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

We stopped putting up a tree after the kids moved out. I hesitate to put one up. Maybe a tabletop one.
rdswan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #29 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

My only problem is with the tree skirt. I have an aritifical tree. A couple of the lower-hanging oraments get played with, but what they really love to do is sleep and play on the tree skirt & it gets messed up.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkabounce View Post
I don't know if it's already been said but I think I read somewhere once that real trees are toxic or poisonous to cats? I could be wrong though
Of course not! What would outdoor cats do LOL?

It's not a good idea if they drink the water--the water thingy should be covered for that reason. Otherwise they're fine.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement