Tricks & Training - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Tricks & Training

So I've been wanting to teach my 2yo Bengal some tricks. He is absolutely addicted to the purebits dried chicken treats, so I might as well put them to good use.

How do you guys go about doing so? I see people using clickers (I'm assuming just a regular dog clicker), but that's after the cat somewhat knows how to do things. How would I just start out with my cat being a bum?

He is already pretty smart...

Thanks!
0ozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Actually you've got it backwards! You use a clicker when they DON'T know what they're doing, and then wean them off of it once they catch on.

You don't need a clicker if you don't want to use one, or if you don't have one handy.

Start with treats in one hand, and some sort of stick in the other. I use a chopstick with the tip colored black.

Hold the stick near your cat, within 2-3 inches. Since cat's are naturally curious he'll reach out to sniff the stick. When his nose brushes the stick say "Yes!" and then give him the treat with your other hand. Do this over and over and over. Once he's clearly got the idea (between 15-30 repetitions) hold the stick a little farther away, so he has to reach a bit to touch it. Do that for a bit, then add a cue.

Say "Touch" or whatever word you like, offer the stick, then say "Yes!" when he touches the stick and give him a treat.

That's the basics of the first thing I suggest teaching...never teach a cat to 'Sit' as it's first trick! You'll never get that furry bum off the ground to do anything else, lol.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks
0ozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

clickertraining.com has a whole cat training section. I've seen cats trained to sit, down, come, stay, touch, go to bed, etc when I was taking my training course.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kayla baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Fun video! That's one persistent and smart kitty you have. My Murphy loves his treats, but he'd never figure out how to open that bin.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Smart kitty. I have always read how some kitties open cupboard/containers just to steal treats, now I see it, lol.. ET's treats/kibbles are in a bottle inside a larger non-tight bin, placed at a corner inside his room. He just needed a push, all the bottles of treats/kibbles will topple over, but he never did it, not once. Whenever I open the bin, he will wait anxiously for his treats, that's about all.

He knew "Sit" right from the start, I managed "Go back room room", "Go", "wait wait" without treats, it is just something he kept hearing me say and he knew what I wanted. I have just recently started "come", "up" with treats. He knew "comb comb" too, whenever he hear this, its time for a brush and treat and he readily come. All of these are done without the clicker.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement