I have zero idea! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default I have zero idea!

Hello, my name is Erez, and i recently got a rescue month and a half color point mail named snow. The problem or problems are that my and my girlfriend's apartment is tiny and snow likes to cry at night (also to play on top of us) especially if we lock him in the other room so we can sleep. My mother told me to bring another cat so he has some company during the day while we work and study and that sounded like a good idea, i wanted a pure bread a reg-doll to be precise and so we went and bought a 4 month old female from a nice elderly couple, her name is Sansa (game of thorns). She is drop dead beautiful and very very gentle and quite. She is with us for a week now, and they get along ok, i hoped they will play more together especially spar a bit but Sansa prefers not to. She seems a little too docile and relaxed especially compered to the dynamo snow. Because the apartment is so small (2 rooms) and the surrounding is far from a big road and quiet i was thinking of letting them out through a kitten door. I will wait of course until snow has his vaccines, and until Sansa is more accustomed to us. I wanted some feed back as to how i should do that. I read a little on the subject and people said not to let them out at night, why is that? they are very active at night, they are night creatures, at night you have less people, traffic etc.
OK, ill sum up my questions. A. how do i go about training them to go in and out at will. B. How do i get sansa to rough hose with snow (he is killing my hands when i spar with him. C. How do i get them to let us sleep without playing on top of us? D. What should i look for in cat food? i live in israel and we don't have all brand kinds..i tend to buy the most expensive imported stuff.
Thank you very much for your time, i hope you can see this post quickly
Erez.
Color point is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

If snow is young, he will probably settle down as he gets older. Sometimes all you need to do is be patient. I used to live in a two room, efficiency appartment... I can not imagine having two cats in that small space. You are a brave person!

Personally, there are some cats I will let outdoors and others I would not ever let out. I think it's a personal decision. There is always a risk letting them out. Just do what feels right to you.
FranklinStreetWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I think i will let them out, the close environment is safe enough, and the apartment is too small to keep them there all the time. They show real interest in going out side, and i can't blame them. I'll wait until snow gets his vaccination, and ill buy sansa a collar with our name and address.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I hope both cats have been neutered and spayed. Please have them done, if they are not, so they don't breed. Cats can live in small spaces, they don't need to go outside. What they need is attention from their humans and elevated space such as a cat tree or shelves on the walls.

Cats, especially kittens, need interactive play time from you every day, several times a day. All cats need this.

Cats should not be out at night because they are at a higher risk from predators. Racoons, fox, coyote, roaming dogs, or other predator animals can and do kill cats. Also, cats are less visible on the road.

Ragdolls are by nature quiet and low activity. You should have researched the breed before buying. In addition reputable breeders require a contract that you spay, and keep the cat inside. Did you not sign something like that.

Please make more effort to entertain your kittens inside before letting them out, where there is a very high risk of them being killed, seriously hurt, or stolen.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

I live in a very cat friendly neighborhood and my cats go in and out all the time. They never go farther than our neighbors yards. I think they have a natural instinct to stay close to home. I enjoy letting them have their freedom.
cullenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

"I think they have a natural instinct to stay close to home."

I agree!
I've read a study which found domesticated cats have only 1/4 the range of stray/feral cats.
SeriousD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Guys thanks a lot for your time. I haven't neutered and spayed my cats yet because they are too young for that. Sansa the Ragdoll is 4 months and snow the color point rescue is 2 months old. They play now, sansa isn't as rough and energetic as snow is but they do chase each other and roll and stuff, so im happy. I play with them myself daily when i come back from work and school. I put a few socks on my hand so snow can have his own attack dummy and go wield. I let them out with me, every day for just a little, there are no predators here, the only danger would come from humans the occasional dog and other cats (in israel we have tons of stray cats everywhere). The rods are far enough, i don't think they will stray that far.
What do you guys think about harnessing a cat and going for a walk? beside the fact ill look like a crazy person, is it possible?
Erez
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The female is old enough to get pregnant, so she is old enough to be spayed. Get her done now!

Harness training and taking them out supervised in harness is a fine idea. Many people (including myself) have harness trained cats.

But Sansa needs to be spayed, now.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The boy is actually old enough too, I think. Vets here will do spay/neuter as long as the kittens are at least 8 weeks old and weigh at least 2 pounds.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement