counters,ugh - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Cats will climb wherever they want. You may just not know it. My aunt left a cabinet open once and their cat knocked everything out of it and made a bed.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

Scare the living daylights out of him by yelling or rattling a can of coins when you catch him on the counter or table. He will very quickly learn that they are terrifying spaces he should not mess with. Cats are smart ;}
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yelling does nothing to Joy...LOL
She just lays down on the counter and looks at us. Or she jumps down and meows at us depending on her mood!
Ragdoll_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tom Cat

It's a losing battle in my house. I remove him from the kitchen table whenever I see him, but I'm sure he does it when I'm away.

I don't see him on counters often, but I've gotten in the habit of disinfecting kitchen surfaces before I do any food prep or eating - this is probably a smart idea anyway even without pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My cats use to do this all the time when they were kittens. I corrected them and they stopped. Now they just do it when no one is home... I know this because I occasionally find the kitchen sponge/cloth on the living room floor. Deter him as much as you can and buy a tall cat tree and shelving for him to climb. That said, cats will go where they want. When I come home I always find every bedroom closet open a crack. Bf caught one of them napping on the shelves in there the other day...
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I've never had an inside cat, but it amazes me how they jump up on things when they can't see the top/landing zone. Midnight, the wild cat, first jumped up on the recycle bin for a snooze- what if there was no top? Then he is up on a cabinet (4 feet high) in the garage, sleeping - so I put some bedding up there. Then he rolls around with complete disregard for the height - falls off- and jumps back up again. Silly Cat!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cat

What's wrong with getting on tables and counters? You're really going to leave the cat out there in the cold because of this?
Arkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldtanker View Post
I've never had an inside cat, but it amazes me how they jump up on things when they can't see the top/landing zone. Midnight, the wild cat, first jumped up on the recycle bin for a snooze- what if there was no top? Then he is up on a cabinet (4 feet high) in the garage, sleeping - so I put some bedding up there. Then he rolls around with complete disregard for the height - falls off- and jumps back up again. Silly Cat!
mine does this into my dirty laundry hamper. usually, it has clothes in it and he gets a nice soft landing. Sometimes though he tries to jump in just after I've done laundry and he falls all the way to the bottom. When he was smaller, he couldn't get out on his own. Now he jumps out and pretends like no one saw what he just did...
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Premier Cat

This is a time to work on yourself and not the cat. Life is much easier if you say -- who cares, they're very clean animals, who can blame them for wanting to explore the space when our house is all they have, who can blame them for wanting to be at eye level with us, and who really cares. We not only let Murphy on the counters, we encourage him up there by giving him treats!

I'm just saying, we've reduced their territory to a house. We really ought to let them explore and use every inch of it.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I admit that I disinfect kitchen surfaces before food preparation (and remove most kitties even during preparation during it) but I can't help wondering if we are becoming too anal retentive about hygiene for our own good. When I was a kid, I would ride for half a day, eat a picnic without washing my hands (and share some of the food with the horse!!!) and never, ever had any problems. I would pick berries straight from the bush and eat them. I would gather mushrooms and eat some of them raw in the field and did so with no side-effects. Still do for that matter!!!
Arianwen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement