counters,ugh - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree 100%. Plus, who else had a mom or grandmother with that Crisco can full of bacon grease sitting on the stove?? (My girls would go crazy over that!!)

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I don't know Crisco but we certainly kept the same chip fat (fries) going for ages - usually with dripping (beef fat).

This week I had a medical for an operation I have to have after an accident on my shoulder and they commented on the fact I was abnormally healthy - says it all really!!!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

There is only one shelf we tried to keep as 'restricted' from the cat... a narrow one above the computer with delicate things on it.

Since we tried to keep him off it, clapping and making loud noises, or physically removing him every time ... he turned it into a game. Now its the place where he goes if you aren't paying him attention.

He just loves to sit up there and tap, tap, tap, things until they fall onto the keyboard.

Funnily enough, he has very little interest in any other surfaces!

He might jump up on the kitchen counter occasionally, but as there is nothing left out, and we never tried to keep him off it, its boring.

He likes to sit on the windowsill of the kitchen (above the sink which is accessed by the counter) and watch you wash dishes ... fine by me.

He likes to sit on the table when we are eating dinner, its a sociable thing I believe.... but since he has never been given human food or food from a plate, he doesn't bother you. He seems to like watching us eat.

He's very clean.

My parents cat is not allowed on counters ... she will mostly stay off them if you are in sight, but when you go away, she does whatever she likes .... worse still .... when she used to jump up on the counters... my mothers response was to put her outside (like a punishment) .... as a result ... now, if she wants to go outside and she's not allowed???? She jumps up on the counters!!! She does so in a particular fashion... jumping up at the furthest end, and running the length of the counter... so that she's closet to the door when you get to her

Halloween night, when we didn't want her going outside, she spent the whole night trying to 'get put out' by running on the counters.
Korat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Tom Cat

All this talk of fecal matter and litter dust is somewhat pointless. Do you pick your cat up and love on him? Does he snuggle next to your face? Does he crawl into bed with you? I'm sure all these things have been one before and after being in a litter box and we think nothing of it.
I for one like to hold my babies in my arms like a baby and kiss their little paws!
Just clean your counters before you prepare a meal. And there should be no worries.
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cat

I definitely agree that you should bring your cat inside ASAP. Aside from the cold and discomfort, what if he gets hit by a car? It happens so often.

Not to threadjack or anything, but I've read a lot of the "so what?" type of responses and I have a reply and would also like advice. My kitchen has an island. The non-island counters are not accessible to my cat, so I leave the electronic appliances on those. The island doesn't have much on it, just a MiniDisc player (weird, huh?) and a cafetière, coffee grinder and coffee beans on a tray (he has no interest in any of those items).

However, the island is where I prepare food - all the slicing and dicing and what-not. It's the only counter spacious enough for it. But when that happens, Ares gets curious and he jumps up on the counter with all the ingredients. Not only do I not really want cat hair in the food, but I usually have an extra-sharp knife in my hand and he wants whatever my hand is near. It's scary. I set the knife aside, rinse my hands, take him off and put him down, wash my hands, turn around and he's on his way back up the counter.

I don't know if I can bear to spray him with water. I might try foil, but I have a feeling he'll just think the foil is fun.
AdoptAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoptAnAngel View Post
I don't know if I can bear to spray him with water. I might try foil, but I have a feeling he'll just think the foil is fun.
There's nothing wrong with using water as a deterrent. You might try canned air used to clean keyboards too. That should irritate him enough to make him stay down.

The OP could try this too:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by scottd; 11-09-2012 at 10:03 PM.
scottd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Cat

Haha my cats are on the tables and counters a lot. Callie will sit next to me on the table when I eat breakfast. My cat when I was growing up was trained as a kitten from going on the counters and tables by my mom shooting him with a water gun whenever he did. Haha it worked, though. But I don't know how well you can train an adult cat, but I'm sure you can if you're persistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Krista2882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Lor
Kitten

This is a battle I've given up on, I don't like the idea of the cats on the counter but now that we have a puppy they take advantage of puppy-free zones like countertops and the table. I wipe everything down before preparing food or serving but I'm not thrilled about it.
Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor View Post
This is a battle I've given up on, I don't like the idea of the cats on the counter but now that we have a puppy they take advantage of puppy-free zones like countertops and the table. I wipe everything down before preparing food or serving but I'm not thrilled about it.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lor
Kitten

LOL I know it. Hubby and I are planning to build a few extra shelves and fun spots for them to climb but I'm pretty resigned to the fact that they have the run of the place. It's ok, the payoff is totally worth it

Last edited by marie73; 11-11-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Lor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement