kitten and sitting on my lap - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default kitten and sitting on my lap

Hey guys. I'm new to having a kitten and two kittens at that. My previous cat was an adult rescue and was his own man, doing his own thing. I currently am looking after two 6 month old female litter mates. Over the past few days I have noticed that while both of them like to sit on my lap, one of them has really made my lap her own, either getting aggressive or attacking the other one if she is sitting or tries to sit on my lap. Should I just accept the fact that one is more dominant and let the "winner" sit on my lap or should I try to try and let the quieter one sit on my lap and push the more dominant one off? Otherwise they get on quiet well, sharing food, litter tray and other cat beds. All suggestions greatly received. Thanks.
annegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

How long have you had them? And does this "dominance" extend into other areas?
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

hi Arianwen. I have them only 4 days. I am fostering them for a shelter. Haven't really noticed the dominance in other areas. They seem to get on pretty well otherwise with the usual chasing and each taking turns of being the chaser.
annegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Is there room for the submissive one to sit alongside and get the occasional bit of petting? I don't really think it's a good idea to interfere in dominance issues. Not that I've had experience, it's just the feeling I've got.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My twins were like that, too. Charlee started wanting my lap all to herself when they were kittens, and she's my only real lap cat now. Which makes me LOVE it when Cali wants some lap time.

I'm sure I should have let them work things out when they were younger, but I'm always protective of the one being picked on. Charlee grew out of being a lap bully. For the most part. Just the other night, Cali was on my lap and Charlee walked up and bit her tail (not hard). I was so surprised that I laughed! Cali didn't really react, she mostly gave Charlee a look like, whatever, I'm still in her lap, loser!

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have two cats.. One is very much a lap cat.. Loves to spend time in my lap,very demonstrative in his affection. Very much a outgoing boy. lol
My other one is the one that likes a bit of time on my lap but on his terms. Doesn't spend much time on my lap,much prefers to sit on the back of the recliner when i'm sitting on it etc.. much more shy,timid etc..
Often the outgoing one is in my lap and the shy one is behind my head on the top of the chair. It seems to work for them. lol
Saying that sometimes the shy one shows his twisted side and will intentionally give the outgoing one a swat with his paw when the outgoing one is asleep etc. lol
Just two very different personalities both give their attention just in different ways. lol
Kaylesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement