Cat hates my mother - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I think you need a two pronged attack plan...so to speak, lol.

The first part is to protect your mom. It isn't fair to her to be attacked, and what would happen if she was holding the baby when Lucy decided to go for her! It isn't safe. I'd set up a room for Lucy to be in when your mom is over for now. Put everything she needs to be comfortable in there, even a bathroom will work.
This will also help because it gives Lucy less of a chance to practice this bad behavior. The more times she goes after your mom the more likely she is to do it again, and the fewer times she has the chance, the less she'll be likely to do it again. So a key part of changing her behavior is to prevent it!

The second part is what everyone else has been talking about. Your mom needs to become 'the bringer of good things!' Things Lucy only gets when your mom is around...but you need to be there too! Your role is to reassure Lucy that it's fine for your mom to be over and around the baby, that you're comfortable having her there. Between that and your mom feeding her treats and playing with her you'll hopefully see her attitude start to change. But it will likely be fairly slow.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

You may be right about having to keep her separate. I'm not mad about the idea but having her attack is just not on. And it's not like my mom comes up to her on purpose. She'll be sitting at the table and Lucy will hop on, come up to her and hiss. She can't even walk 1m passed the cat without her pouncing or growling. I really thought Lucy would get used to having her around, esp since she was ok at the start, but it seems to be going the other way.

My mom comes in tomorrow so we'll start with the treats and see how it goes. Maybe no playing just yet, I can see that going all wrong very quick. Imagine the cat chasing around my mother instead of a ball...

I really need them to be ok together, otherwise we'll have to take Lucy to a cat hotel when we go away and I imagine that to be more traumatic than staying with people she knows.
eva026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Wow, today was bad so I am going to have to keep Lucy in a separate room when my mom is here.
We started with my mom giving her some canned cat food which she gets as a treat and she got mad as soon as my mom stepped away from her bowl. She outright pounced on her, claws out 2x and hissed and growled every time my mom even looked at her:/

This is going to take ages because my mom only come 2x a week. If it was every day I think building the association mom=treat would go faster.
Will def go to a petstore and look for feliway this weekend:/
Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that it went so badly.

It'll be much better for everyone if you keep her separated while your mom is there by herself. I know it isn't what you had hoped for, but if Lucy seems to be escalating then it just isn't safe to leave your mum alone with Lucy.

Hopefully it will get better over time, but I'd anticipate any improvements taking months, not weeks.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

Does you mom have any pets? Or does she wear perfume? I'm wondering if Lucy is smelling something she doesn't like on her.

Although it might just be her temperment. I had a cat once (Ginger, a LH calico) who was was very territorial and didn't like anyone other than my husband and me. She would tolerate other people coming over unless we weren't there. (as informed to me by her kitty sitter, my neighbor who just made sure she wore jeans and shoes when she came over). She would go after dogs that came in the yard too.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

months...yikes
No my mom has no pets and doesn't wear perfume either... and honestly Lucy was fine with her for months. Not friendly mind you but not mean either. I'd say things have gotten bad in the last month or so.
Anyway, thanks for the advice
I know what do do now and will keep you all posted if we make any progress. For now it's cat-jail for Lucy and a pet hotel if we go away:/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement