Interactive cat games? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Interactive cat games?

I'm trying to play different interactive games with Tucker since he has such a high energy level and I want to keep him as stimulated/entertained as possible. He loves playing with his caterpillar teaser toy and he loves it when I put his feather teaser under a blanket and wiggle it back and forth. But I want to do something else with him so he doesn't get bored. What kind of games do you and your cat enjoy playing?
tigre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My cats loooove chasing the laser pointer
CatMonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Lasers are fun on tactile floors to prevent slipping. Oliver likes hunting. He will pretend hunt everything; paper balls, ponytail holders, plastic plants, fingers, furry toys, feet, etc.. Pet stores sell these boingy things that are simple mesh tubes. They look like those finger traps toys. Anyways, you boing them off anything and the cat goes nuts.

Oliver and I play hide and seek. Hide behind a wall and slowly peek out at him and hide back again. He WILL come find you then you chase! It's Oliver's favorite game. He likes to be spooked by us, he will jump up and run away if we open our hands like a magician going "poof"

Some cats aren't as active or rough so then you can sit and train your kitty. I have Oliver trained to give paw, stand up, "come" and this stimulates his brain. Gets him thinking.
OliverandCo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Rotating Games and toys is a good idea. I rotate many, but some are kept out at all times.

String on a stick games: Any type of long wand with a string on the end. Some cats like a thick shoe lace, or a leather boot lace, or a strip of fleece. Drag along the floor and up and down furniture (especially the cat tree) for chasing, and flip it into the air for leaping, or dangle it for jumping.

Or..lay a newspaper flat on the ground. (or use a throw rug) Slowly pull the string part under the newspaper to entice kitty to stalk and pounce. You can also use the stick end for this game and play Catch The Bump Under The Rug.

Feather on a stick toys. Be creative with it, dragging it under things, or sit on the floor and drag it around your body. Be patient. Make it act like a furtive prey.

I use a variety of feather wand toys and string on a stick toys, rotating them to keep the cats interested.

Crumpled paper balls. Crumple it noisily to incite interest, then toss it to be chased down. I keep a box full of used envelopes, the kind with the cellophane windows, for this purpose. The cellophane makes the Crumpled Paper Balls wonderfully crinkly. Some cats like to chase them down, others prefer to play Catch with them. Toss the paper ball to the cat in a way he can leap and catch it, (or just sit up and catch it), or bat it as it goes by.

Cats like to stalk and hunt and pounce. I have one cat who won't play with anything unless it is hiding under a rug or newspaper.

Jingly ball toys, also for tossing to be chased down. Juice jug rings. I never had a cat play with one until The Kitten came, but she loves them.

Bouncy balls ("super balls"). Tossed to bounce up onto something, cats chase and leap up after them.

Hide and peek: I hide behind the couch or around a corner of a wall and peek out at the cat playing the game. Every time I peek, the cat has moved stealthily closer, until finally when I peek the cat has launched him or her self at me!

Paper Bag Forts. Cut any handles.

Burrow Games. Waft a blanket or sheet until the cat dashes underneath it. Let it settle on kitty then slowly drag it along. Or let it settle, and play with kitty through the blanket.

And of course don't forget the laser pen-red dot. Seems cats either love this or ignore it. I have one who ignores it, and three who love it. I don't use it every day.

Remember to have at least one Box Fort around the house. One Fort, (tipped on it's side with the flaps hanging down) and one upright for jumping into and out of.

My cats know when it's Game time. I sit on the floor and they swarm. But we play at other times too. I keep a box of toys handy for tossing, when I am busy in the kitchen or on the computer, for example. Then I gather them all up and keep the box handy.

Certain cats have favorite toys that may or may not be interactive. My senior boy has his Fur Mice, which he keeps in a special pile. He plays with them on his own, but sometimes invites me to play Fetch with him. The Kitten has her Furry Balls. She keeps them in a special spot on the roof of a Box Fort. They are not interactive, my only job is to gather them and put them back where they belong after she has played with them. One of my girls has a tennis ball that she likes to chase and bunny kick into submission. I am NOT TO TOUCH this tennis ball, ever. I discovered this one time when she was playing with it and it rolled near me. Thinking to join the Game, I rolled it for her. I got such a Look, if looks could kill....... LOL! And then she didn't play with that ball for weeks. She did finally start playing with it again, I was so relieved I hadn't spoiled it for her permanently!

Oh wait..one more thing, my cats go CRAZY over these. I get them at the dollar store in the party favor section:

lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My cats go nuts for that track ball toy that they can get from the sides and tops. It also has a mouse on top they love(although its from the dollar store so falls out anytime they go at it lol). They all love the laser pointer and they also all love any toy on a wand, feather , toy, etc. They never seem to get tired, they could play all day/night if I didn't get tired. lol
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks, this is really very detailed and full of ideas, will bookmark this.

Last edited by marie73; 11-15-2012 at 12:17 AM.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

If you feed crunchy treats, try skittering them across the floor. One of my girls runs away when a little treat approaches her (seriously), but the other one absolutely loved pouncing and chasing. She even chased the pieces on the carpet (it had a low pile), though the hardwood and linoleum floors are great. Sometimes, she'd stick a paw out trying to stop one, and it would carom in a different direction, so she'd be chasing it all over the kitchen floor. I do recommend blocking the bottoms of refrigerators, etc, though.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

If you're going to go the food route, pick up a slimcat ball (you stick treats/food in it and adjust the exit holes to easy or hard and let them roll them around). I think those rabbit/dog puzzle games should be handy to cats as well You can sit and talk to kitty as he plays these things. I use my slimcat ball to distract Oliver and give him something to do in a room by himself whenever I need to take out my bunny.
OliverandCo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverandCo. View Post
If you're going to go the food route, pick up a slimcat ball (you stick treats/food in it and adjust the exit holes to easy or hard and let them roll them around). I think those rabbit/dog puzzle games should be handy to cats as well You can sit and talk to kitty as he plays these things. I use my slimcat ball to distract Oliver and give him something to do in a room by himself whenever I need to take out my bunny.
Possible to show pict? I'll try looking for one in Sg.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement