Kitty disoriented - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Kitty disoriented

Happened the 1st time in 11mths. ET woked up from his nap at the study room and looked lost. He didn't seem to recognise me or even the environment. Then he got up from where he sleeps and made his way very cautiously back to his room. On the way back to his room, on the floor, we have a rug, which he took some time to investigate before passing by. Back in his room, it looked like he didn't recognise the whole room, investigated everything in the room before finally relaxing. All these took him approximately 10-15mins, before he finally looked normal.

What exactly is the problem? or is it usually quite normal behaviour?
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It sounds unusual to me. Maybe he'd woken up from a weird dream or maybe he heard a noise that woke him up and was put on edge?

I don't recall any of my cats acting like that, maybe I've seen a cat act a little started waking up but nothing lasting up to 15 minutes.

The one time Blacky acted weird and jumpy - lasting on and off a few days - I believe she was poisoned from flea medications...

If he seems fine now I'd just keep an eye on him.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 11-14-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thx Carmel, oh, if cats can have dream, he probably had a bad dream, that explains his weird behaviour. He wasn't on any medication or flea treatment, nothing unusual happened, he just woked up and seemed lost, I happened to be near him and watched him throughout. He took some mins to get up from where he sleeps, took quite some mins to walk cautiously back to his room, testing or investigating everything with his paw. Back in his room, I thought he would be more relaxed, but alas, those toys and furniture in his room seemed alien to him. Checking everything out very cautiously with his paw 1st, then sniffing. 1st time I witnessed something like that happen. I don't remember how long he slept, but he usually take quite a couple of hrs' nap daily in the late morning before asking for food.

Ya, he seem fine now, nothing unusual after that episode.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My first thought reading that description was perhaps a small seizure of some kind? Might be worth a phone call to your vet to ask their opinion?

My grandma's chihuahua had seizures...big ones that scared grandma to death and the vet couldn't do anything until they could "verify" them (meaning grandma had to get the dog to the vet during or immediately after a seizure so they could do bloodwork), so they weren't super helpful at first. If the vet doesn't think it's anything to worry about, that could at least put your mind at ease.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kit
Jr. Cat

Seizures was my first thought too. My first cat suffered from them shortly before she passed away and that's exactly how she was after them. She walked around the whole house as if she'd never seen it before, but had lived there for over 17 years.

It wouldn't hurt to call and see if the vet thinks it's something to be worried about. But since you said you were watching him as he slept, everything is probably fine.
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Has he been under anesthesia for any reason in the last 8 mos or so? If so, what kind?
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hi, thanks for highlighting the possibility that it may be seizure, I'll go google for more infor. Vet here don't entertain phone consultation, will probably go down personally to enquire, anyway its just less than 10min walk from home. But as VenusWorld21 mentioned, "the vet couldn't do anything until they could "verify" them (meaning grandma had to get the dog to the vet during or immediately after a seizure so they could do bloodwork)". ET seemed fine till now, look like I may have to keep my hp with me all the time for a video taking if he does get into another similar episode.

Hi hoofmaiden, his last trip to the vet was for his vaccination in early Jan 2012, since then no trip to the vet at all, so no anesthesia or medication whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement