6 Month Old Male Cat Attacking Kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default 6 Month Old Male Cat Attacking Kitten

Hello. I adopted a stray 8 week old cat a few months ago, and he is 5- 6 months at this time. When I got him I wanted to get a playmate for him and got the big litter box for multiple cats. Because I had some personal things at the time I put off adopting the second cat. They had a promotion at the humane society a week ago, and I got a cat. She was six months old and my cat tried to play with her which she didnít like and then it progressed into a fight with him being the aggressor. I took her back in less than 24 hours and got a male kitten that looks like him because he has tried to play with himself in the mirror thinking it was another kitten.

When I first brought the kitten home, he tried to pounce on him and it looked like he went for his front side close to the neck region. He doesnít hiss or growl...just attacks. He is twice the size of the kitten and I refuse to let him attack him. It really worries me that he doesnít growl and went for close to the head of the kitten. I have kept the kitten in a separate room for a week now. I feed them together with the door cracked, and they play some under the door.

However, there have been several times when my cat wanted inside and I had the kitten out. My cat clearly wanted to attack him, but couldnít because I held him in my lap. They have both scoped out the otherís living quarters. He figured out I was letting the kitten out when he went outside and progressed to going outside and then wanting back in after a few minutes to see if I had let the kitten out. He would run to the kittenís room first thing every time. Now I have him tricked again. Yesterday I tried to put the kitten in a large carrier in the common space, and my cat tried to swipe him and bite him through the carrier.

It has been over a week, and I see no progress. I am feeding them together where they can see each other through a cracked door and encouraging them to play under the door. Both cats, especially mine have plenty of toys and get plenty of interactive play. I am upset because my cat has not warmed up to him.

I am so hurt and devastated right now, I cannot think about it without getting upset. Seeing my cat try to attack this kitten half his size with little biddy kitten teeth and paws is so disturbing. I have read that male cats are territorial and may not ever warm up to another male cat. If it isnít going to work, I want to go ahead and return the kitten so he can get a good home. I feel like a total failure to the kitten and to the humane society if it doesnít work.

Since my cat is attacking without growling or hissing and hasnít changed his attitude, how long should I give this or should I give up now?
acate65071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome!

I would start over, using these guidelines:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

It's never to late to start over, and take things slow. Even following these guidelines, the process could take 2-3 weeks, and that's okay. I know how anxious you are to see them become friends, and at his age, your older guy should be pretty accepting given time.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Up to a month is a pretty normal adjustment period for new cats. And I agree with Marie, given the ages of the cats involved, it should be possible for them to live harmoniously, given enough time to sort things out. Also, is your older guy neutered? 6 months or so is the time their "puberty" hormones can start to kick in and make them rowdier than they'd otherwise be. If he's not already neutered, I recommend doing it asap.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Wow, good point, didn't even think to ask that!

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Cats can be very territorial. Make sure they are both neutered. And it make just take some time and getting used to. You can try keeping them seperated in different rooms, where they can still smell each other. And let them see each other slowly.

When I introduced new cat to the one that was already living with me, he was not pleased. He would growl and hiss. This went on for two weeks. And then one day, I came home to them cuddling next to each other and grooming each other. Also, are you sure they aren't just playing? My cats are pretty crazy when they play. They wrestle, swipe at each other (but keep their claws in), and hair flies everywhere. Also if you see one cat mounting the other and biting the other cat's neck, that is normal too. He is just trying to assert his dominance.
SuzieeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement