"runt" syndrome? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default "runt" syndrome?

So this may have already been asked at some point on here, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

I have owned 2 runt of the litters in my life, one a 5 lb grey tabby and the other one a 6 lb black cat full grown. BOTH have been, how shall I say, bullies. Like they have kitty Napoleon syndrome. My grey kitty Pooka (over the rainbow bridge now) would swat at any of the other cats no matter their size if they even so much as looked at her the wrong way. Now I have Khaleesi who is granted only 7 months old but is modeling the same behavior, just now I was giving out treats and she walked over to my big males (13 lb) pile and growled and hissed while smacking him across the face to steal them. She is the same way with her favorite toy, if the other two get near it she will grab it in her mouth and growl.

She is very full of herself in general, just like Pooka, she pushes the limits I have set (like no walking on counters, she will do it when I am asleep or jump down right before I get to her). I really don't mind this too much, since the no counter rule was because I didn't want them jumping up when I am cooking and getting injured but it is quite interesting that BOTH my midget kitties have had the BIGGEST personalities (should I say purrsonality?) that didn't match their physical size.

Is it just a coincidence or has anyone else come across this?

Jezahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Cali was the runt of the litter, not expected to make it for a while there. But she's my gentle little girl, always greets the other girls with a lick on the forehead. The twinz are willful little brats, though. Cleo was such a good kitty until they came along and taught her bad, bad things.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Our horse has the same issue, we call it "short horse syndrome" 'cause she's about 5 inches shorter than EVERYONE else in her family, shorter than average horses (she's about 14.1 hands) and full of **** and vinegar toward any other horse that looks at her funny.

The runt of the last kitten litter I fostered was a complete love though. Super spunky but not mean at all. His new mom sent me pictures of him and his "big brother" (her 2 year old cat) was curled up asleep on his head. Elvis didn't seem to mind at all.

The runt of my current foster litter (Itsy) is a snuggler. Not a mean bone in her body.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Pooka was mean, she even would bite us humans, but I loved her to bits for the unique personality she was. However I don't think Khaleesi is mean, she is just very self entitled. She is very lovey with my other cats when it suits her, like when they are grooming her or adoring her, then she gets a smug look and drinks it up. Not a mean kitty so to speak, just very spoiled and spunky! She was a bottlefed baby, so I wonder if that plays a role? She adores me though, follows me around the house rolling around looking for love and comes when called. Just very full of herself

Jezahb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

The entire litter I have now (6 kittens) was bottle supplemented as babies and I'd say 4 of the 6 have personality traits like you describe. The bottle may be a much bigger factor than her runt status.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement