Cat possibly seeing something that I cannot see - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Staring up the ceiling or wall is nothing new to ET, but just recently while playing DaBird with him, he stopped all of a sudden, moved towards the door, looking and listening attentively for some mins. He refused to start playing, no matter how I teased him with DaBird. There was no one else in the house except he and me. I thought he hear someone at our main door, so I listened too to determine if anybody's there... nobody. After some mins, he started playing again and then once again he stopped, look out the door and listened. Happened twice in a single play session. Well, are you thinking what I am thinking too, lol...

Anyway, all I have heard of are, dogs can "see" but I haven't heard about cats. My friend's dog can certainly "see", he knew it, cos he himself can see "them" too.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

They can develop anxieties and fears that stick with them - has anyone seen that episode of My Cat From **** with Xena? She was outdoors for the first time ever, so her senses were turned up to 11. The little son tried to pet her, startled her, and she flipped her lid. She associated someone reaching their hand out to her as bad, and acted as such. She pretty much had PTSD. Cats are very once-burned-twice-shy like that. I'd try playing with him and giving him treats when he's in the bedroom, and then giving him a treat when he's on the bed. Then you'll erase that negative association.

Since he's a young one, having that scary experience on the bed could make him hypervigilant in general.

I gotta say - some people would LOVE to have a cat that's wary of the bedroom.
MmeHibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Well, I have to say that is pretty creepy, and I'd get pretty creeped out and think about scary things, too, if it happened to me and one of my cats. But it didn't, so I can think about it more logically

I think I read somewhere that cat vision actually isn't all that great. Or at least not as good as ours. Their night vision is superior, but as far as catching details, I think we've got them beat. That being said, my cats have been known to somehow notice small specks or miniscule shadows cast by imperfections in the paint on the walls and fixate on them for a good 5 minutes. Their hearing, however, is far superior to ours. I would guess that when a cat seems to be looking at something we can't see, they're usually hearing something that we can't hear. Maybe there's a bug crawling around in the wall or ceiling. They're actually able to hear stuff like that. So if your cat seems to fixated on the same place every time, try thinking that maybe there are bugs living in that part of the ceiling. That might be just as creepy to some, but much more likely, in my opinion.
sarasaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hi sarasaurusrex, you may be right, we tend to imagine too much when kitty act weird, lol.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Remember that cats' hearing is far, far superior to humans. The cat "looking" at something you can't see could very well be the cat having heard something somewhere that you couldn't hear, and the cat is looking in the direction of the sound. Perhaps some bird landed on your roof and the cat can hear them but you can't. Or maybe some bees have made a nest in your attic. Or something like that.
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cat

so im not the only one! chloe follows something around in the living room walls with her eyes. the ears tuck back and the big googly eyes pop. She can definitely see something that I can't
Josh 91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Purranormal Cattivity

Amazing thread, but all in all, I still think that your kitty just embarassed or hurt himself and thus is afraid of the bed. It's definitely a better explanation than believing in something supernatural purely because of this. And you will also definitely sleep better.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement