Look what I had to order! (or: Jonah Strikes Again) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Look what I had to order! (or: Jonah Strikes Again)

A few weeks ago I came home to find the fridge door open, the food warm, and the small amount of raw meat stored there for the cats' PM meal gone. One of the drawers was pulled out--I assumed that this had kept the door from closing all the way.

The next day, I made sure the door was closed but again it was open in the PM. That night I heard a noise in the kitchen--I went in there to cat, red-pawed, Jonah working to open the door (which he did with relative ease, considering that those doors close fairly tightly and he's just your average 8.5 lb cat!). I'm assuming that after the first time, when I left the drawer pulled out and the fridge didn't close all the way, and hence, Jonah learned that there is Good Stuff in the fridge, he just became obsessed w/ it (as is his wont) and worked on it until he figured it out.

I spent the last week w/ 2 pieces of packing tape on the fridge door all the time. This was a major PITA to open, so I ordered one of these:

Amazon.com: Parent Units Fridge Guard, Clear: Baby Amazon.com: Parent Units Fridge Guard, Clear: Baby

It works great, but does require 2 hands. Still, better than either of the alternatives. <sigh>

Does anyone else have a cat who can open the fridge?? Jonah just never seems to grow up! He's 3 now, but he's just as much a hellion as he was at 6 mos! I guess it's the raw feeding--he's not only super smart but he's also super strong! LOL!
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

No, fortunately my cats aren't the smartest kits on the block.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Wow, I didn't think a cat would be able to open a fridge, those doors are quite heavy!
nicichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

That's the same one I have on mine.

When I got it for MowMow. It wasn't because he wanted to EAT the stuff in the fridge, he just liked climbing in there in the summer and I was worried he'd get stuck and suffocate.

Then Book learned by watching him in the new apartment (hadn't gotten a new childlock since it was winter time) and that's all she wrote. Once he got strong enough to get in there he would eat everything in sight.

I have the same brand ones for all the cabinets too. Mine are "European" cabinets and don't latch. Book can paw them open and he drags out the food stuffs. MowMow was always just happy to lay in with the pots/pans/cans so I never had to bother with him. Just call him and see which cabinet he popped out of but...the walking stomach is a different matter.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Jonah can get in the cabs too but finds them uninteresting so doesn't bother (thank god). Glad to know I'm not alone in this, though!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

The new gymnastic in my house is the trash can. It's 3 feet tall and has a press top lid. Book learned to jump up onto it and jump right down to pop the lid open. Then he just climbs on in and roots through the trash.

First I turned it to the wall (top is angled) and that worked for a little while but he was back at it. Now I put the bucket of recycling on top of it (resting against the wall) so if he tries to knock it off the cat food cans scatter and make a heck of a noise at night and wake me. I still have to take the trash to the dumpster every.single.morning though 'cause he'll knock the bucket down and get in there while I'm at work.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Oh, I already figured out the trash can thing--20 years ago! My Permakitten then, Loki, ate plastic. This eventually got him into serious trouble when he ate not 1 but 3 pieces of the sproingy cord from our spare landline (not cordless) phone and had to have emergency surgery to remove the pieces from 3 different parts of his intestines! Prior to that he ate the plastic trash can liners. So I made a very attractive wooden box, from pine 1x6s, with an inset lid with a knob on it. I.e., you have to pull UP on the knob to lift the lid and when a cat is sitting on it he can't do a THING. I made it to exactly fit a standard kitchen trash can. I stained it and it's really very attractive--been in use well over 20 years now!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Great idea. Mine are more interested in trying to squeeze underneath the fridge to get lost toys. The do however open the cupboard doors so we put those child locks on them. They also open every closet door in the house and hand out on the wire rack shelves... Unfortunately theres no real way of locking it.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Never saw ET attempt to open closet doors, let alone the fridge. The kibbles/treats are in a bin and canned food inside an empty fish tank, all inside his room. He has never once attempt to help himself, whenever he is hungry, he will meow non-stop and wait for me to serve him. If ever I was any slower, he will bite, I AM HIS SERVANT! lol...
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
If ever I was any slower, he will bite, I AM HIS SERVANT! lol...
This is MOwMOw's take on it. Why should he go through all that work for a treat? If he just sits next to me and pokes me and meows I'll get up and get it FOR him.

The kitten is way more...proactive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement