Going out of town: leave cat at home or bring to cat sitter's house? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I've had a kitten in my bathroom for almost 2 months now. It's bigger than a cage at a shelter so I don't see the issue. She comes out when we can watch her and make sure my cat doesn't get near her. The kitten's FeLV/FIV status is not known. She gets tested next week.

If you have to leave him in the bathroom, it won't kill him but he won't be happy. I'd try taking him to the sitter's house first though.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

So it occurred to me that the pet sitter will be coming by twice a day and maybe she could let him out of the bathroom when she comes in the morning, then put him back in the bathroom at night. That way he'd get 10 or so hours out of the bathroom each day.

But he has been awful today with one of the bunnies! He keeps sticking his paws in the cage and batting at my poor boy's ears. I don't know how malicious he is being- the cage has an opaque base about 6 inches tall and Declan lies down next to it on his back and reaches up and sticks his paws through. He can't even see the bunny when he does it. Bunny does not seem to mind actually and I didn't even see him touch the rabbit at any point, but I do not want Declan to scratch him, accidentally or not! He is being utterly tenacious about it today, too, and I've caught him doing it 3 times. I yell "NO!" at him and he runs away when I do that, but then tries again a while later. Obviously I cannot leave Declan to do this all day long while we're away.

Tips for how to stop him from doing it, since reprimanding him isn't working? We will probably build said bunny a new cage that's up off the ground. Odd thing is one of the other cages is on the floor as well and Declan leaves that bunny alone. It does not have the opaque base.

I'm going to order him some Soft Paws, but those are just like scratching insurance and I want to stop the pawing behavior of his.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tom Cat

For safety, you could clip the curve and sharp tip off the cat's claws. That way if he does connect with the rabbit, he won't spike them or draw blood as easily. Something I always do with mine. Never declaw, but will blunt them every two weeks to keep down the risk in fights.

I think Declan will do better staying at home, even if he is in the bathroom most of the time. Just make sure he has something soft to sleep on, a few toys and all the other comforts he needs. He should do fine. And, he will greet you like rescuing heroes when you return home and let him out!
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat

Laurul, we keep his nails clipped

In a few minutes Declan will be visiting the pet sitter's house! Let's hope he gets along well with the two kittens. I will update when we get home. Hopefully he doesn't go on a kitten murdering rampage.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cat

We're back! Declan spent about 4 hours with the kittens. As soon as we opened the carrier door, he sauntered out and then spend the next 4 hours running around the house exploring, getting lots of pets, and playing with all the kittens' toys. One of the kittens (Penny) wouldn't come near him and spent the entire time curled up on her dad's chest, and the other kitten (Sheldon) was afraid of him and hissed and growled at him most of the time. He was a pretty good boy though and didn't try to hurt them. Sheldon approached him several times and he reacted by first staring at him quizzically, then lying down with his feet tucked in (in cat loaf position), maybe so as not to look scary to the kitten? He did bop Sheldon a couple of times, but it seemed playful. So since the meeting overall went pretty well, we are going to go ahead and have him stay with them while we're gone

Oh and this is kind of funny- our friends actually met Declan at the animal shelter! They were there to adopt their older kitten and played with Declan. They really wanted a kitten but said they thought about getting him. Penny, the kitten that was terrified of him and stayed away the entire time, was actually at the shelter with Declan.

What do you all think, does that seem like pretty good behavior for an adult neutered cat with kittens? Someday we may adopt a kitten so it's nice to know that Declan seems to do okay with other cats!

Last edited by Kittybuns; 11-23-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Kittybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement