Going out of town: leave cat at home or bring to cat sitter's house? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Going out of town: leave cat at home or bring to cat sitter's house?

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place! I couldn't decide if it should go here or in the general forum, but chose this one because it comes down to the cat's behavior and personality.

Alright, here's what's going on: My husband and I will be out of town in a couple of weeks, gone from Wednesday morning through Sunday evening. This is the first time we will leave Declan. My question is, is he better off home alone during that time with the cat sitter checking on him twice a day, or is he better off staying at the cat sitter's house?

To complicate things slightly, if he stays at our house, he will not have free roam. As I've mentioned before, we have pet bunnies in a room that cannot be closed off and while he's done quite well with them so far, I really do not want to leave him alone with them for 23 hours a day. If he stays at our house, he will have to be locked in the bathroom and just come out for maybe half an hour twice a day when the pet sitter comes over. I do not think he will like this!! Even if we put lots of toys and his scratching post in the bathroom, I think he would get very bored in there.

Now, for his personality: Declan is a VERY laid back kitty. I mean, he definitely likes to play and have fun, but he's pretty hard to frazzle. Heck, when we brought him home from the shelter mere hours after he was neutered, it basically took him about 15 minutes to settle in and then he acted like he'd been here forever. He's also SUPER friendly and loves everyone. I'm afraid he'll get really lonely if he's at our house by himself and just checked on twice a day. I think he would handle being dropped off at the pet sitter's house Tuesday night and then being picked up Sunday night pretty well. It will surely be stressful to some extent, but in the long run I think he'd benefit from the run time and attention he'd get.

We have 2 potential cat sitters. Both are close friends and both have 2 cats. Okay, 1 has 2 cats plus a foster cat that they just took in a couple weeks ago. Her 2 cats are quite laid back and have no issues with other cats, don't know about the foster but he came from a cat rescue with tons of other kitties roaming around. The second cat sitter's cats are both kittens, about 3 and 4 months old.

So, what do you all think? What would you do if Declan was your cat? He is my first kitty so I don't have any experience with leaving him! THANKS

Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

I think I would try leaving him at the cat sitter's. She could always bring him back if it's not working out with her cats...Unless your bathroom is really large with a window he could look out of.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Bathroom is TINY! As in, we have a shower stall instead of a bath tub because it's so small. Suppose it could be smaller, but yeah. There is actually a window. Suppose if he does have to stay in there, I could clear everything off the shelves adjacent to the window so he could climb around on them and look out the window. Sadly, the view is of the back of the neighbor's house 20 feet away
Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I use a pet-sitter but my crew have a pretty free rein of the house. Is there a reason why Declan would have to stay in the bathroom?
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Arianwen, as I've mentioned before, we have pet bunnies in a room that cannot be closed off and while he's done quite well with them so far, I really do not want to leave him alone with them for 23 hours a day. If he stays at our house, he will have to be locked in the bathroom and just come out for maybe half an hour twice a day when the pet sitter comes over.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sorry - I missed that in the thread.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Is there another room besides the bathroom he can be kept? Your bedroom or something? That bathroom given its size is not a place to keep a cat if you can at all help it. In fact, I'd look into moving the rabbits before sticking the cat in there.

If the option is tiny bathroom or sitters, go with the pet sitter. It sounds like with his personality he'd take it in stride. Maybe if they have a problem with him and their cats getting along they will have a better room he can be kept in at their place?

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I take it the bathroom is too small for the bunny cages or I would suggest the reverse .. bunnies in the bathroom and kitty roaming.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Bunny cages have to stay in the living room as I built them and they would have to be deconstructed and then re-built to fit through the door. And they wouldn't fit in the bathroom Yes, bathroom is the only place for him.

And Arianwen, I just copied and pasted from the main post- should have deleted the "As I've mentioned before" part as it seemed a little snooty, sorry!

I think what we will do is ask both potential pet sitters if they would mind having Declan stay with them instead of coming here, then take him over to their houses for a test run and see how he does with their cats.

I had originally thought we were only going to be gone from Wednesday morning through Friday evening and figured Declan would be okay in the bathroom for that time, but talked to my husband last night and it turns out it's all the way through Sunday, such a long time! The bathroom is about 15 times bigger than the cage he was in at the shelter for 2 weeks and he'd get to come out when the pet sitter comes by, but blah
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

that sounds like a good plan good luck and hope it goes well!