Urinating and Pooping - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Urinating and Pooping

My story is really long, but I'd prefer if to give you all the pieces, so I can get the best help possible.

The short version is that I'm having to keep my cat, Cody, in the bathroom because he's been peeing outside the box and in the past few days, he's started pooping outside the box.

So the long version...
He was diagnosed with Diabetes at the end of June. Unfortunately, I ended up leaving my husband three days later due to mental and emotional abuse. He loves the cats as much (if not more) as I do, so I thought he'd be in good hands. Apparently, I was wrong and Cody started loosing a lot of weight and urinating everywhere. He had always been really good about using his box before I left. My Ex said that he would just fall over and urinate any time he saw our other cat. His diabetes was not controlled at all because my Ex thought he knew better than the vets and did his own treatment. It's very possible that my Ex is a psychopath. I think the stress of the whole situation really got to Cody.
So I fought long and hard and finally got possession of Cody about a month ago. I'm living with my parents and they didn't want him here because of him urinating everywhere. Obviously not big cat people. So I'm having to keep him in the bathroom till I get my own place (hopefully in the next few weeks!). I let him out as much as possible, but I have to closely monitor him because he has urinated a few time outside the bathroom. He also has two spots in the bathroom that he really likes other than his box and rarely uses his box to urinate now. And as I said before, he's started pooping in those two places as well.

About his box, since I know those'll be the first questions you'll ask... It's the same on from my Ex's house and I'm using the same litter. I clean it every day, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I really think he's mad at me for keeping him in the bathroom, but I have no way to not do that! His heated bed is in there as well as his food at the other side of the room from the box. And I also got Feliway to try to help, but I haven't seen any difference yet.

Help, Please!!
Thanks,
Holly and Cody
alittlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

You may need to consider speaking with a vet. Cat's whom are normally trained will not typically start using the bathroom wherever they please.

A few things I've seen in my lifetime. 1) Stress on cats whom are already sick can make their condition worse. I've gone on vacation before and come back to a cat who licked itself bald and died a month later from renal failure. 2) Bladder infections/crystals can cause this. The problem is, the cat feels that urge to go and that they can't make it to the box. So they seek out something soft. Since it's painful in that situation, they might start urinating on blankets and stuff as comfort. Last is the litterbox. Some cats would rather pee on the floor than a dirty litterbox. You seem like a good owner so I doubt this one is the issue, but it's worth mentioning.

At the very least, I'd start with urinary tract food and contact the vet.
SeriousD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I will speak with my vet about it tomorrow since I'm already dropping him off for a glucose curve. He has had issues in the past with crystals, but last time he was checked (a few weeks ago) he didn't have any. I'll see if they can do a urinalysis again just to make sure. I really don't think it's the box. I do think it's the stress...I just don't know how to de-stress him. Finally getting his diabetes under control will help some, I'm sure.

I just want my sweet kitty back and hate having to keep him in the bathroom. Him being diagnosed just came at the worst possible time and it really took a toll on his health.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Holly
alittlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement