Counter Tops - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKali View Post
If your cat is young enough that they're still learning, I'd use a small water bottle and spray him/her each time they jump on the counter. Sometime them seeing the bottle sitting on the counter alone will deter them. Good luck!
Of course that only works when you're home. You do realize that they are up there when you are not.

In general, people should make sure their cats have enough elevated space, aside from the kitchen counters, but I agree with the others, unless you want to go to the trouble and expense of some kind of scat mats laid all over your counters all the time, you might as well invest in a bottle of Clorox Anywhere, keep the counters clear of food, knives and anything that can be pushed off, and resign yourself to the fact that this goes with living with cats.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Just learn to live with the fact that NOTHING in your house belongs to you anymore. You are now a maid, cook, babysitter, and butler.

CF Sig by KrisMowBook, on Flickr
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat

My cat knows he is not allowed there, I see him jumping off and running when I come closer to the kitchen, I keep counter tops clean and free of any food so I have no idea what is the attraction, maybe it's the height? and yeah, there is no way to prevent it. They know they are wrong and will still do it anyways, they might stop doing it in front of you but when you are gone they do what the heck they want lol.

Gosha - shy 5 y.o. Rasta - vicious kitten
gosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Kitten

Just cleaning the counters before use is the only thing that works here or remove their food from the kitchen and close the door.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosha View Post
My cat knows he is not allowed there, I see him jumping off and running when I come closer to the kitchen, I keep counter tops clean and free of any food so I have no idea what is the attraction, maybe it's the height? and yeah, there is no way to prevent it. They know they are wrong and will still do it anyways, they might stop doing it in front of you but when you are gone they do what the heck they want lol.

It's not that they "know they are wrong". They know you don't want them there, but unless you are there to stop them, they don't care. Why should they? They aren't "wrong" or "bad". It is a natural behavior for a cat to want to jump up and explore elevated spaces, especially spaces where their beloved humans seem to spend a lot of time, and where food sources come from.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

This is a hard and long process, but eventually your cat will train you to accept that HIS/HER way is best :-D
Cat-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tom Cat

So true! If it's not their idea, it's not going to happen!
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement