Counter Tops - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Counter Tops

Hi,

Any ideas on how to keep my cat off of my kitchen counter tops. I am a new cat mom and I am concerned for sanitation sake but also that she may turn on the gas stove while we are at work. Any suggestions.

Kattys Mom
Kattysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

We have never found away that works to keep our cats off the counters. Besides, when we are not home, they probably go up there anyways so there is no point for us. We always use lysol wipes to wipe everything down before we cook or do anything in the kitchen.

Can you not take the knobs off your dials? This might help from them turning the dials accidently. Sorry if this is no help.
LilyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Learn to live with it and clean off the counters before cooking? If you think about it, cat butts and paws aren't always perfectly clean and can make couches, floors, laps, etc. "unsanitary" as well (but no one is telling the cat to keep its grubby paws off the carpet!). Make sure you don't leave anything potentially dangerous to the cat on the counter because she probably goes on it when you're not home.

On my gas stove, the knobs need to be depressed before they can be turned, which I don't think a cat (or my cats, anyway) could manage. You could also buy safety covers for them (a quick google shows they can be found at hardware stores, baby stores, and Amazon has quite a few choices as well).
CatMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I use scat mats on my counters. I wouldn't mind so much if they were just going up there and going to the window, but they get into the cupboards and onto the open shelves where food is stored and rip things open and knock dishes off. Not cool. The scat mats are working well. When I first set them up I left the off for weeks so that the cats didn't associate the mats with the correction. I only have one set up right now at the place where they get onto the counter, and I haven't had any counter issues for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
kayla baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I asked about this a while ago and the consensus here was that I should just learn to live with it. That being said, I haven't had much luck in stopping my cat from getting on the counters either.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Just wipe down the counters before you use them. If you really think she might turn on the gas stove just remove the knobs when you aren't using them.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

If your cat is young enough that they're still learning, I'd use a small water bottle and spray him/her each time they jump on the counter. Sometime them seeing the bottle sitting on the counter alone will deter them. Good luck!
KittyKali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My counter surfers changed their mind when I used Ssscat! Automated Cat Repellent. It works even if you're not there. Alcohol or Lysol wipes are a good alternative.

Amazon.com: ssscat automated cat deterrent Amazon.com: ssscat automated cat deterrent

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Scat mat on anything dangerous. Otherwise, I'm in the "live with it" camp! Any other course of action will drive you nuts.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

I tried keeping my cat off the counters at the beginning but it seems hopeless. She just wouldn't learn and it got too frustrating. I posted about this when I first got my cat as well and was surprised when people just told me to live with it, but I totally get it now.

I have a Ssscat for the oven and it mostly works, but I have to put her outside when cooking because she just gets too nosy. As for the counters, I just wipe them regularly now.
nicichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement