spraying ?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default spraying ?!

Will getting my cat fixed totally eliminate spraying ?
pitbullove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

How old is he? I'm not sure, but I think that neutering doesn't guarantee that a cat will stop spraying.
spirite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Hes almost 3
Old 11-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

There's no guarantee...males can still spray once neutered (as can females), but there is a very good chance it will help/solve the problem.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

well that sucks i cant bring him back inside because he keeps spraying everyywhere
Old 11-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It can help, some sites have sited it stopping up to 90% of cases. I don't know how accurate that is. My male cat has always sprayed even though he was neutered fairly young.

Cats get set into habits. How long has the spraying been going on? Three is very old to get a cat neutered, it should have been done around 6 months of age or even sooner.

They also will be able to smell where they've gone before, you'll need to clean like mad and replace everything you can't thoroughly clean with enzyme cleaners left to soak into stuff... otherwise, it'll probably promote continuing the habit.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
It can help, some sites have sited it stopping up to 90% of cases. I don't know how accurate that is. My male cat has always sprayed even though he was neutered fairly young.

Cats get set into habits. How long has the spraying been going on? Three is very old to get a cat neutered, it should have been done around 6 months of age or even sooner.

They also will be able to smell where they've gone before, you'll need to clean like mad and replace everything you can't thoroughly clean with enzyme cleaners left to soak into stuff... otherwise, it'll probably promote continuing the habit.

I got him for a woman at the apartments where my brother lives,the cat was around 1 then. He has always been outside so its never been a problem .
We have a house/apartment type thing over the garage,just a mini house basically. No one uses it anymore though so im thinking of putting him up there if neutering wont help. 2 bedrooms,a bath,kitchen and living room,he would have tons of room up there. I hate to but its better than living outside if he cant be inside
Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

you should be neutering him anyways. if he's outdoor then he's likely impregnating a bunch of cats, which results in a lot of potentially homeless kittens.

also according to my cat's foster mom, he used to spray before he was neutered. after, he stopped completely.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Also, to add to what I said, my cat is estimated at 2 years when he was neutered. So he wasn't neutered young but the spraying still stopped
Old 11-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Neutering isn't guaranteed to stop spraying but it can. If done young, it can prevent the habit from forming.

Regardless, you should get him neutered. It's irresponsible not to especially considering you're letting him run loose.