Introducing Kittens.. Is this normal? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Introducing Kittens.. Is this normal?

So, I picked up my 2 babies today. 2 8 week old male kittens. I already have Tinker who is about 4 years old. He is a rescue and as far as I know has met kittens before (The people who has him before had a younger cat with Tinker).

The kittens were home by about 1 and have been hiding in their igloo since then. They are in my dining room area, out of the way of hustle and bustle.

Tinker is quite cat friendly. We used to let him outside and he used to meet up with a cat down the road and they both go off together. A young tabby turns up at our house all the time and although she hissed and spat at Tinker he just laid down next to her. Anyways..

Tinker went up to the carrier when they were still in it and smelt it and kept doing these tiny high pitched kind of half meows. He hissed once after a minute and walked off (I know people say to put the kittens in a room on their own but this is the best I can do).

3 hours later I went to sit by the kittens igloo and talk to them quietly and Tinker came skipping over doing his greeting noise (thrilling?) and then spotted a kitten and stopped. He sat next to me and I have him loads of tickles and then a Kitten came out on it's own. He walked right up to Tinker and Tinker hissed at him again. The kitten wasn't bothered and just sat there. Then they both touched noses.

After a while the other kitten came out and wanted to meet Tinker but Tinker had walked off sulking and was laid about 5ft away. The whole time Tinker kept doing these weird little half meows that are high pitched and then his greeting noise. Kind of like what Mother cats do to their kittens.

Is this normal? Is it a good sign? I expected a bit of hissing and Tinker is reacting how I thought he would. A bit sulky
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

It's completely normal.

New kitty wants to be friends, but Tinker sees her as an intruder. But give it a time, they will get used to each other in no time.

Just be sure, that Tinker eats properly and that they do not fight.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Tinker clocked onto the Kittens food and I took it away but then felt like I had told him off in some way.. Like all of a sudden he isn't allowed to eat! So I got a small handful and sat down next to the kittens and hand fed Tinker. He ate the lot because he is such a foodie!

I then gave him his wet lunch and he ate half of it which made me worry but then I thought he had just eaten some dry and it's earlier than normal.

Is it good that they touched noses so soon? I read that if they touch noses they kind of trust each other? But does that just count for older cats?

Why is he making small high pitched meows at them?
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

All cats are different in their communication. Just as an example, I have six cats. They all (thankfully) get on but to very varying degrees). My oldest cat and the four youngest believe that she is the mother of them all.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement