Cat Litter Box and the Dog - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat Litter Box and the Dog

Hi,

I adopted my cat two weeks ago. All is going well with the litterbox except my dog is eating out of it. Any ideas how to fix this situation.? The litterbox is in the first floor bathroom, there really isnt an option to move it.

Katty's mom
Kattysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

If it's possible, I would suggest training the dog that the whole bathroom is off limits. My girl is trained that way...the laundry room is 100% off limits to her.

If it's not possible, I once pet sat for a family that used a baby gate. What type of dog do you have? If it's a large dog, put the baby gate 6-8 inches off the floor, so kitty can go under, but dog can't. If it's a small dog, get a shorter gate and put it on the floor. Dog probably won't think to jump over, but kitty should have no problem.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Default From OP

I thimk the baby gate mau work. I have a 13 year old blind and deaf Australian Cattle Dog. He is still active and can be very stubborn. I worry about him getting sick.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

If possible, I'd have the litterbox in an area the dog can't go, maybe raised up on a table if an off limit room isn't possible, or if you have a spare bathroom, maybe put it in the tub, the dogs may not jump in just for a snack.

You could look into the strange shaped litterboxes, I don't know if the cat would use them, but it would make it harder for the dog to get in:
Booda Dome Cleanstep Cat Box Booda Dome Cleanstep Cat Box

There's also self-cleaning litterboxes, a more expensive option:
Litter Robot LRII Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box Litter Robot LRII Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box

There's also gates you can put across the doorway that have small entrances that are only cat sized:
Carlson Extra-Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door Carlson Extra-Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door

You can try training the dog, but are you sure it won't be in there while you're not there to watch?

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I had this problem with my bloodhound, so I got a hooded box, and I took off the swinging door. Then I placed the box so it sat with the opening facing the corner diagonally. I left just enough space for the kitties to get into it but not enough so my dog could squeeze her head inside. This is the only thing that's worked for me.
The box is fantastic because it has this flap on top that pulls all the way back so I can reach inside easily and clean it without having to take the whole hood off. The easier you make it for yourself the more likely you are to clean it!
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

I have a separate room with a door opening that's only big enough for my cats,but not the dogs. Every now and then the door is open all the way,but I have taught the dogs to not go in the room unless I invite them in.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Default From OP

So I went out and bought a domed shaped litterbox with a flap door. We were worried that Katty wouldn't use the door but to our suprised she did. So about 10 minutes ago our dog was found with his head in the litterbox eating kitty candy. How frustrating! Any other suggestions?

Kattys Mom
Old 11-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

one poster said to turn the hooded box toward the wall so the cat can come and go but the dog can't? I like the gate idea as i have used these and various times to isolate dogs from rest of house but our cats can go thru or under them.
Cat'sHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

I use a door stop and have the door only open enough so only the cat can slip in and the dog can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement