New cat won't let me touch her - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweamgoil View Post
Yup, time and patience. I have a skittish cat. He's been with us for over a year and since he was 12 weeks old. This is just his temperament. He was neglected as a kitten and never properly socialized.
That is a very good description of my Muffs, who came to me when she was 12 weeks old. She would always run away when approached at first. She's now almost 4. I doubt she'll ever sit on my lap, but she has gotten more affectionate over the years. She now comes and gives me head butts and likes me to pet her around the ears. If I hold out her brush she will now come and let me brush her. And she often sleeps at the foot of my bed. When visitors come, she will approach and sniff them. She used to hide when visitors were over, but now she generally stays out and about, provided strangers don't try to get too close.
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. I am going to try getting a wand toy for her, and seeing if she warms up to that. I do wonder if she was perhaps mistreated, as fearful as she is...but of course she may have been a stray too, I don't know. One good thing is that she and Arnold love each other; they sleep cuddled up together, etc. (yes, I did wonder if that's perhaps why she's not in a hurry to get attention from me), but this is actually part of why I got her, as I felt sorry for him being home alone when I work long hours. So mission accomplished there! Hopefully the other part--her liking and trusting me--will come around sooner rather than later, but it is good to know that probably in the future it will--on her schedule, lol! Thanks again!
Traci63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement