Kitten and Cat, natural enemies? - Page 4 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Kitten

Update and the new things I've been trying lately:

Feliway diffuser is in place (and generally following Bean cat from room to room).

I've slowed down a bit on the visual interactions, usually keeping the door closed or open just a bit when I am in one room or the other.

I think Bean is nervous of the kitten noises, so I've tried to muffle the sound of him jumping on the door and climbing (it's like a folding closet door with slats on the upper half). It can get pretty loud and I think it makes him sound more intimidating than he really is.

I'm also exposing Bean to kitten's pheromones. He never rubs his face on anything, so last night, I took a clean sock and rubbed it on his cheeks. I feed Bean some treats right next to it and she was fine for the first few, but then it was like she caught a whiff. She didn't take the last treat and started to slink over to her cat cubby a few feet away. She stopped and turned back to look, but she wouldn't eat the treat until I moved it away from the sock. That was a surprise. I had assumed they would have smelled each other very well by now, but I guess since he doesn't rub... that or the sock wasn't as clean as I thought. So kitten sock will be a new introduction tool.

I'm also trying to get Bean to play more to improve her general happiness. Problem is she gets stuck in her tunnel. She runs to the end to hide and watch the toy, but never runs out the other end!

I'm also switching them over to canned food (and scheduled feedings). It is better for them and I will be able to use meal time as a tool for friendly goodtimes bonding. Bean is taking it better then I expected (thoroughly licking at the very least), but Kitten is less enthusiastic. I'll try again tonight.

Overall, I feel like I have a plan now. Mostly I'm just focusing on making things generally better (especially for Bean cat) and slowly proceeding with integration. There have been fewer hisses lately.
CorriniP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
Kitten

Week 10: New update in the continuing saga of Bean and a kitten.

Things were a bit hectic here over the last few weeks, but now things are calmer and its back on track for operation cats (plural)!

Feliway diffuser is still diffusing.

I added a window perch to one of the bedroom windows. Bean seems to enjoy it and kitten is too small to jump up there yet. I also put a cat bed on top of my bookcase, which Bean also likes.

Kitten was neutered last week and has recovered well.

Kitten is now eating exclusively a mix of grain free canned (mostly wellness) and commercial raw (Natures Variety Instinct) plus some chicken chunks and organs. Bean cat has been slower to transition. She does kind of eat the canned/raw mix, but I still supplement with a few tablespoons of kibble. Side question: Does anyone have any tricks for getting her to actually EAT the food rather than just lick it? I don't need to sprinkle any treats since she is already interested enough to thoroughly lick, but I don't know how to get her to take a bite. I mostly use the pate kind and mix in a little warm water to make it soupier. I also put in an order at Hare today for some mice and quail and rabbit chunks. I'll see how well that goes over.

I now have a three gate bedroom door set up that I can leave open when I am at work. And I am feeding Bean within a few feet of the gate all the time. Still no free interaction time yet, but must be patient...
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yay! Sounds like things are progressing well!
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
Kitten

The hardest part is staying patient and not loosing hope.

Bean is getting more playful, even when kitten is watching, so that is progress.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Very well done!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
Cat

That video is absolutely awesome! I watch it over and over again! Exactly how they behave!!
MyBabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #37 (permalink)
Kitten

Week 11 update:

Not much progress I'm afraid. Still no free interaction time yet. But I'm keeping the door open all the time with the gates set up, so they can see each other when I'm not home.

I'm also going to slow down on the attempt to transition Bean to wet food. She still isn't really eating her wet meals completely (I believe it is the same volume, just mushed up to the side of the bowl). Reducing the scary change may help her feel more comfortable again. I'll try to find something less horrible in the kibble department tonight. I'm also planning on making her "earn" at least a few of those kibbles by feeding them to her one by one at the gate (like kibble treats). As long as she is not a hissy missy, she gets more. Any hissies and that is the end of meal time! I've been trying to distract her with toys when the tension gets high, but I could smack her in the face and she still wouldn't be distracted. I'll see if food works better.

Kitten is now a very hungry 5 month old. He is eating meat chunks pretty well including rabbit and some chicken. He still isn't very interested in chewing bones though, but he still has his baby teeth.

I'm also convinced that his fur has gotten darker. I don't know if its just natural aging or his coat coming in more or if its in response to the diet change, but he is certainly not as silver as he was. He is now darker grey with a bit more brown in his coat.

That's how things stand now. As always, suggestions are much appreciated

MyBabiesDaddy, I love that video too. That kitten is just like mine. The way he walks with his back hunched and his tail droopy... pure kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement