Chewer - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Chewer

I have a chewer, well actually two chewers, but one is little worse than the other. They have cost me hundreds of dollars in damage in the year and half that I have had them. We have all worked hard at minimizing the damage, keeping cords out of reach when we are not there to supervise and now we put the cats away in the laundry/furnace room at night and when we are away. Bitter apple is useless and some people suggest hot sauce but that to me is too cruel. I have tried covering up as many cords as possible but there are some you just can't cover up.Keeping her in the laundry room has caused new problems. She is getting up in the walls and I have tried to prevent that but she gets around all of my road blocks. She hasn't done any damage up there yet that I am aware of. I don't have another room for her besides a small closet with no window or the garage.
Recently I had to fly home to see my mom who was in hospital, so she was left with my husband and my three kids to care for her. When I came home I discovered that she had changed the hrv from intermitant to continuous and sure enough when I got up there to check on the ladder, one of the cords had been chewed, not all the way through because it is a thick cord.
There are five people in this family and her feline brother to keep her stimulated and entertained, so why is she like this? I am almost thinking I should let her outside since she is always trying to get out there. She has never been successful, but it's not from lack of trying.
I left her out one night in the house instead of putting her away in the laundry room and sure enough upon waking, I discovered she chewed through a telephone cord. The phone had to go in the garbage. I don't know how she doesn't get electrocuted. Help! I'm running out of money to replace things all the time.
goombella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombella View Post
some people suggest hot sauce but that to me is too cruel.
I used to think that too. But really, it isn't. If the smell alone doesn't deter her, then the spiciness and taste will. However, you will have to re-apply it since it will dry up. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Best of luck to you!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Really? I remember reading a long time ago that hot sauce could cause blindness if they were to get it into their eyes. If you are sure it is safe, I will try it, I guess.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Humane society suggests hot sauce:
Just Say No: Aversive Training for Your Cat : The Humane Society of the United States

From the forum, citrus and hot sauce:
Hot sauce as a deterrent?

UC Davis Veterinary Program suggests hot sauce and citrus:
Pica: The Un-finicky Feline
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thank you both so much!
My sister was the one who had suggested the hot sauce to me and since she is not an animal lover at all is why I didn't take it too seriously, haha. She was right after all. Hot sauce it is then. Hope it works!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

When I applied hot sauce to the cord of my alarm clock, I didn't shake it on. Instead, I poured some in a napkin and rubbed it on the cord. My cat took one whiff of that cord and never touched it again. Of course, once it dried up, he tried to chew it again, but with constant reapplication, he lost interest in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement