I wonder if cats have a universal language - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default I wonder if cats have a universal language

I just installed a Christmas screen saver with a Christmas tree and a fireplace. There is also a cat that walks around meowing and as soon as my Squirts heard it she came running to me as I if was talking to her. Squirts then jumped up on my shoulders rubbing against my face when the screensaver cat started meowing again. She was giving me the strangest look when the other cats started whining and she took off to check on them. I do believe they are now searching the house for the intruder since I’m typing and the screensaver isn’t running.

I sure wish I knew what the screensaver cat is saying.

Last edited by marie73; 12-23-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: font
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I think cats do have a universal vocal language. However, there are differences in body language that may be misunderstood by other cats. For example, cats express different moods and attitudes with their tails and ears. With tailless Manx and flat folded-down ears in Scottish Folds, other cats can be uncertain or confused by them.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Thanks, I didn’t really think about body language, but that makes sense.

I had to turn off the sound in my screen saver because it was upsetting the cats and I think it would bother me as well if I had to listen to it, but I had left the room to work in the shop.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

This is bizarre but apparently there was a study (why, I don't know) that showed that cows understood each other there was a regional difference in accents!!!!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
This is bizarre but apparently there was a study (why, I don't know) that showed that cows understood each other there was a regional difference in accents!!!!
Wow I guess Iíll just never understand how they figure stuff like that out without actually talking to a cow.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Nor me!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I was on my way to work really early one morning while listing to talk radio and the guest was a woman who could talk to animals. She told a story about how she was able to talk a cat out of killing a baby owl that fell out of its nest. I would have liked to ask her if the animals had different languages or even accents.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I pick up things from animals (normally mundane and pretty boring things) but have never noticed and regional differences - never thought of that before!!!

Apparently the study I talked about taped cows in different regions and compared the with the sounds made in other areas! I guess then it would be no different to two English speakers hearing a difference in accent but still understanding what was being said???
Old 12-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've never been able to test it, but I believe that cats may have different dialects. i.e. British cats 'v' North American ones. That trill that cats give, I can't remember cats in England doing that.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kit
Jr. Cat

A friend told me once that cats only meow to humans, and not to each other. I personally don't believe this, but it is interesting. I have two cats and they don't necessarily talk to each other, but they do to me. So I can see a little bit where this claim came from.
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement