Feeling guilty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Feeling guilty

Not sure if this is where this topic belongs, but lately I have been thinking about possibly rehoming two of my cats.

My fiancÚ and I have three cats, a dog, fish, and a bird. My older cat does not like any of the others, and she seems really stressed around the other two cats. She was the only cat
For seven years. We introduced the other two a few months ago, and she has not really been herself since. Her and the dog tolerate each other, but only because she will stand up to the dog (a 8 month old German shepherd puppy). The other two cats just run from our dog, and makes the dog want to chase them everywhere. So we lock those two up in the room while the puppy is out.

The reason I'm thinking about rehoming them is because I think we just have too much for our small house, and they'd easily find new homes. My older cat is very moody and couldn't really go to someone else. I feel bad for my older cat with all the stress we have added to her life recently. I just feel guilty even thinking about giving away my two cats because I love them dearly and worry about someone else caring for them..

Any advice? Anyone else had feelings like this?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
dgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I understand where your coming from. Don't feel bad! Before we got our kitten we had a medium sized hyperish dog and my 1 year old cat Godzilla. Now normally Godzilla really liked dogs but this dog we got kind of didn't know how to play "nice" with the cat...... He tried to be rough with Godzilla and obviously he didn't like it. We had the dog for about a couple months and Godzilla was becoming " old and grumpy". He just seemed depressed and like I said he's not even old. Besides that we decided to find an alternate home for the dog because he was having BAD separation anxiety and he needed someone who was home more with him and someone with kids... So we found him another family and its worked out a lot better..... We got our kitten Skeeter and Godzilla is a completely different cat. Total opposite of what he was when we had the dog.... You just have to do what you think is best for everyone! Our dog is much happier with someone else with kids to wear him out everyday! Granted I miss him very much but I knew I woulda been selfish to keep him because his problems would have gotten worse and Godzilla wouldn't have ever been happy. so like I said you have to do what you have to do....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Here's some hope for you. Everyone is young, and that might be part of your problem. We already had 3 cats when we moved to this house (all adults age 3-5 years). Once we got our own house and didn't have a landlord any more, we immediately got a puppy (8 week old lab mix from the shelter) and a kitten (8 week old stray a coworker of mine found). It was CHAOS for nearly a year. That's just par for the course with young animals. Your puppy can be taught not to chase cats and will learn with time if you decide to stick it out. I had a shepherd/rottweiler mix that LOVED our kitties. The trouble with lotsa babies running around is that nobody knows any better. Everybody (puppy, kittens) will do stupid things sometimes because they're young and that's what babies do. Around the 1 year old mark, things will probably start to settle down, and it sounds like you're nearly there.

You wouldn't be a failure if you decided not to stick it out though. You're the one in the home and if you think that they'll never settle down and be okay together, then rehoming the youngest two might be the best way to go. You're the one best able to make that call.

I applaud you at least considering trying to rehome the two "easiest" ones. So many times on craigslist I'll see ads for 8-15 year old animals that they owner wants to get rid of because "the new puppy doesn't get along with it." Seriously. At least if you're going to make a hard choice, you're also making the responsible one. Kudos.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Excellent topic, OP.

This can be hard on anyone, especially if you're a big time cat lover. It feels like re-homing your children.

The best answer is to do what you believe is best for the animal.

I'm going through something similar (as mentioned in a different post). I have a cat that's nearly a year old, and when I was looking for another kitten for him to have as a companion, I was talked into taking two (they're siblings). I love them to death, and they provide a LOT of company, but my neighbors aren't quite so sympathetic. They chase each other around sometimes at night, and since I live above my neighbors, they can hear them running around and jumping off furniture.

I've been hunting for ways to try and keep them calm (unfortunately, I don't get home until 1am from work, so I can't play with them before bed without creating a ruckus), but I want to do it in a way that works for everyone including the cats. I don't consider crating to be inhumane unless it's for hours upon hours on end, which would be what would have to happen.

I too have considered re-homing for both their benefit and the neighbors', but I'm saving it as a last resort.

Like I said, OP, do what you think is best for your animals
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement