My cats are in hiding - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default My cats are in hiding

We had Christmas for the whole family at our house this year and I’m not really sure how many kids were here, but they were chasing the cats all over the house. Sometimes I just want to move far away from family so I don’t have to do this anymore. I absolutely love having the kids over to see the tree and play with the trains, just not all of them at one time and not for so long. The house has been full of people all day and some I don’t care for so I’m so glad it’s over.

Last edited by marie73; 12-25-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: font
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Maybe your cats are smarter than you are; then again you'd need a bigger hiding place than they do.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I understand. I love my kids and grand kids but when everybody shows up at the same time it is not so much fun. Not much I can do about it. We are the "old people" (we are not really old, but the oldest now) so our house is the gathering point. The cats do not like it either and they hide. I usually hide too. I go upstairs, close the door and read a magazine or go to the mall for a while. This year, everybody had Christmas at the in-laws and it was a very low stress, peaceful Christmas. The cats had a great time.
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I had to occasionally take breaks by slipping away into my shop for peace and quiet. I don’t know where the cats went and they didn’t come out to eat. I just hope they are still using the litter box and not some corner in the closet.
I have a brother-in-law that has cancer and is starting chemo next week so he’s partying big time this week drinking an awful lot and being extra loud. He’s been battling cancer for years and has never tried to change his habits, but I guess its all catching up with him this time around. Oddly enough I don’t feel much pity for him.
I love Christmas but the family get together is just too much. It’s amazing how different family members can be from each other.
Well I got to go to work and I hope everything is back to normal when I get home
Old 12-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

You're obviously a good introvert like myself. You quickly reach your limit on people contact and sometimes have to go and hide just to recharge your batteries. I get that completely. Your kitties have the right idea -- just go and hide.

I'm lucky in that Murphy only hides for about 5 minutes, and then makes an entrance and works the room. When my mother called him over to say hi, he went. And my sister made him a couple cat beds, one of which is like a braided fabric bowl, that he just loves.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

The only thing that infuriates me more than anything else is kids mauling cats!!! I feel your pain....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

moving FAR away from the rest of the family was the best thing i ever did! ha ha! they're all still in new england and i'm out here in seattle. it's just me, the hubby, and our 3 kitties. it's always so wonderfully calm and quiet during all holidays here for us, while i see the craziness of , prepping, cooking, planning and traveling that everyone is going through back on the east coast. it's a mad house!

this year it was even calmer, too, since we turned vegetarian and didn't bother with making a turkey or anything. no huge mess and clean up! we feasted instead on soydogs, cous cous and black beans. first year EVER that i didn't feel totally stuffed after christmas or thanksgiving. i love it.
maggie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

A house full of kids is especially hard on cats and can make them fearful of children for the rest of their life. Usually cats can handle one or two kids at a time if the kids are well behaved and respectful of a cat's boundaries, and do not chase them....cats absolutely hate that. If I have kids that get out of hand, or know that they or their parents can't control their behavior, I'll lock away my cats in another room. To me it isn't worth the risk of having my cats have their behavior changed toward rowdy kids for the rest of their lives. Don't get me wrong. I love kids, but I love my cats too, and try to be present to supervise them, teach the kids how to play with them, or have another adult who is knowledgeable about cats keep watch if I have to be busy with something else.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
You're obviously a good introvert like myself. You quickly reach your limit on people contact and sometimes have to go and hide just to recharge your batteries. I get that completely. Your kitties have the right idea -- just go and hide.
I guess that partially true, but not when I’m around people that I enjoy. Unfortunately I don’t feel that way with my wife’s family. We just have absolutely nothing in common and I’m actually appalled by some of their thoughts, but I’m always very polite and I never raise my voice.

I had to go to the shop because they broke my $250 Christmas train, so I just calmly picked up the pieces, cleaned up the mess and took it into the shop.

Before we got married, my wife gave me a short list of things that would be cause for her to leave me and one of those things was that her family will always be welcome in our home, which I have honored.

Anyway it looks like the cats are over it, but I just noticed that the dogs have thrown their food all over the patio.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Builder: Tough living in SoCal, eh?

Living in/near Detroit has effectively discouraged visits from family on both sides. Detroit apparently not being on the short list of destinations for people from Kansas or Minnesota.

Or, it could just be me
lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement