How to get a cat in a carrier? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

So many suggestions, another one to consider. What most trappers here do is to use a deep fried chicken wing to lure hungry strays into the trap. Of course, these trappers uses a professional trap, not a carrier, but I guess its the same so long as you stay around to close the door immediately after kitty goes in. Don't feed kitty before, he will be so hungry and will be attracted by the smell of the deep fried wing. Trappers here never uses treats, I believe. They uses the chicken wing only as a last resort or on difficult to trap kitties, I also understand they will try the tuna 1st.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

Depending on how feral your cat is, you may need to wear a thick jacket and welding gloves. Putting the carrier on end and as Marie73 suggested works best. My cat is an ex-feral. He is a sweetheart and is very affectionate but the feral in him remains. I can pick him up and hold him but making any move to get him into a carrier, brings out the wild animal in him. Just to prepare you. I don't know how much feral is in your cat. I hope this doesn't make you more nervous about it. My cat can pick up my nervousness too and he'll stay clear of me knowing something is up.

I don't know that there is a way to do it that isn't stressful - for you as well as the cat. I wish there was. Semi-feral and ex-feral cats are particularly hard.

"A nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the manner in which its animals are treated." Gandhi

Last edited by Waterfaller10; 12-27-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Waterfaller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Just a up date. I have been playing with her throughout the day putting treats in the crate she will go in half way. So I think I should have no trouble getting her in it tomorrow. I just kind of worry that she will associate food with a negative. She really belongs to my neighbors but they are not being responsible pet owners don't give her a warm place are not feeding her enough. I have always believed in getting cats fixed. If she was my cat she wouldn't't even gone through her first heat. After this is all done. I hope she will come back to me. I need to find a good home for her preferably someone that can provide a indoor/outdoor home. I am unable to supply a indoor home. She lives in her garage. I really do feel bad because the neighbor kids who she belongs to really do love her. But their not taught to be nice to it. So they terrorize her. Not meaning to. They come looking for her but she hides from them. They are really concerned when they can't find her. So it has truly been a roller coaster I am ready to pull my hair out. I also feed the birds and she kills the birds and brings them in the garage and I am just about put out with her. But I refuse to give up. Ugh. Sorry to ramble on I am just getting to the end of my rope I do really love her and won't give up on her.
Jeckybeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Good luck with getting her in. I guess I missed reading the part of your first post that she is "semi-feral", and the suggestions I gave were for a cat that wasn't but just doesn't like to go in the carrier. So yes, I would definitely wear some thick leather gloves in case she bites. Good luck and thanks for all your doing for her. That's really wonderful of you.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I got her in with a treat had to push her the rest of the way in. Took her in at 7:30 this morning mountain time. She is scheduled for 10. I felt bad I felt like a trader getting her trust and then hauling her to the vet. I am glad that she is going to be fixed and vaccinated. But I can't help feeling bad. Hopefully she will forgive me.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Just got a call from the vet. Stinkerbella did just fine through her surgery I get to pick her up at 5:30 PM. We have officially decided to adopt her. I am so happy.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckybeanz View Post
Just got a call from the vet. Stinkerbella did just fine through her surgery I get to pick her up at 5:30 PM. We have officially decided to adopt her. I am so happy.
Congrats!

LadyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckybeanz View Post
I got her in with a treat had to push her the rest of the way in. Took her in at 7:30 this morning mountain time. She is scheduled for 10. I felt bad I felt like a trader getting her trust and then hauling her to the vet. I am glad that she is going to be fixed and vaccinated. But I can't help feeling bad. Hopefully she will forgive me.
Glad you managed to get her into carrier and have decided to adopt her. When I lured ET into his carrier with a treat for a trip to the vet for his vaccination, after coming home, he was angry with me and gave me a very hard bite. But after that, everything was back to normal again. So, no worry, kitty will vent out then forgive and forget.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cat

I'm really happy you're going to adopt her. She will forgive you. It was much harder for me getting my ex-feral into a carrier and he forgave me.

"A nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the manner in which its animals are treated." Gandhi
Waterfaller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfaller10 View Post
I'm really happy you're going to adopt her. She will forgive you. It was much harder for me getting my ex-feral into a carrier and he forgave me.
Love and security always win over a bad experience.
She will be so glad to see you and her now permanent
home she will forgive you anything as you have come
to rescue her again and take her away from the bad
vet place.

Congratulations on your adoption of this sweet kitty.
May the new year with her be just wonderful for
everyone involved

p.s. The worst cat I had to stuff in carrier for That Trip
to the vet was a big orange tom. I ended up balancing
the carrier on its end between my knees and lowering
him into it, back end first, very fast. The feet didn't
have time to grab onto anything, and I was able to get
the door slammed and locked before he could catch his
balance. It works almost every time I have a cat who
wants to put up a real fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement