Leash walking versus gps tracking - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Leash walking versus gps tracking

My one cat doens't like walking on a leash. The other has so much energy and needs to go walking and even takes it out on the other cat when he doesn't get to go out. The first one whines when she doesn't get to go too, even though she doesn't like the leash.

I kinda wanna just buy a gps tracking collar for the two of them and have them roam around the neighborhood under my supervision.

Thoughts?
ejmokazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Personally, I wouldn't do it. GPS tracking won't keep them from getting hit by a car or getting into fights with wild animals or other cats. I don't think I could ever handle allowing any of my cats to roam. There's just too many risks and if something happened, I don't think I could forgive myself.

How much do you play with your cats indoors? Indoor cats, especially very energetic/active ones, need quite a lot of play time to be happy and healthy. Even if you take them outside on a leash, they still need lots of quality indoor play time.

Have you considered trying out a different harness for your cat who doesn't like the harness? Maybe there's another design that would be more comfortable for her.

And how do you know that she doesn't like it? Does she try to struggle out of her harness? If so, she may need more time to get used to the leash and harness indoors before taking her out.

Is it that she doesn't walk on the leash like a dog? From what I understand, most cats will not walk on a leash like a dog. They'll just sort of wander and explore, and you just sort of have to follow them around and let them lead you (while of course keeping them out of dangerous situations).

I'm starting to work on harness/leash training both my kitties so I've been doing some research and talking to some people about the subject. Not trying to say I'm an expert. Far from it. But I'd try to work with your kitty on the leash more before I'd let her roam free, even with GPS tracking.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

This is going to dissolve into an indoor/outdoor argument (and I don't mean debate, I mean argument), so I'll get my .02 in before it closes.

GPS is a fantastic idea. It will help you find their little bodies after they've been hit by a car or killed by wildlife.