How long does it take - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default How long does it take

For a cat to adjust and be friendly? My last cat was very friendly from the time we brought her home til she was no longer with us. This cat is very fiesty and mean. She hisses and tries to bite you we've had her just for 24 hrs. But I was just wondering

AriasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Is it a kitten? I've found kittens warm up much more quickly than adults. It could take anywhere from a week to 6 months for them to adjust. I would give her time. My first cat was very scared when we brought him home. We left him alone in a room for a week before we tried to interact with him. We would go in there once a day and just sit in the room for a half hour. That's when we would give him more food/water and clean his litter box. But other than that, we just let him alone for a while. Now he loves every new person and doesn't react so badly to new environments either, I have had him for 8 years and he is a Siamese.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

That's what Aria is and she's almost 8 months old

AriasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

What was her background before you got her?
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I would give her time to adjust. Imagine your uprooted and taken somewhere new. She needs time to feel comfortable with the new environment before she'll be willing to accept people.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Somehow I missed the 24 hours bit.

When I first had Oz, he hid in the box room and I barely saw him for days - if it hadn't been for food he would have hidden even more!! Once he got a bit of confidence, he was everywhere and has convinced himself that my oldest cat is his mother!. At the moment he is sitting in the cat tree that I had as a Christmas present. Time can work miracles.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

We've had our Siamese for about 10 weeks and she is still adjusting. We estimate her age to be about 3. She still bites and hisses but it is less frequent and we are learning her signs of when and why she acts out. Everyday gets better and we've made good progress.
I think all cats are different and adjust in their own time. My advice is to interact with the cat (play, pet, etc.) at the same time or place everyday and let the rest be up to the cat. She will let you know when she wants attention.
Crazymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

24 hours is nothing....it depends on her history, but you have got to go at her pace and respect her boundaries. you have to earn her trust. It could take a few days, it could take a few months.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

All cats are different, but it's very common for a cat to take some time to warm up to its new home and people. It could take a few days, a few weeks, or a few months before she feels comfortable and learns to trust you. In the mean time, just be patient and give her space. It can be frustrating because getting a new pet is very exciting and you want to play and snuggle and interact with them right away, but many cats just need some time to adjust before becoming your best buddy.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

We adopted two kitties 5 weeks ago (a 3.5 month old and a year old). The kitten bounded out of her carrier and was so loving right away and the one year old took about an hour to get out of the carrier and hid the whole day. Even after 5 weeks, she is still pretty skittish, but gets better every single day!

Keep on working with your kitty. She will get better!