Need some advice. Please help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Need some advice. Please help!

Hello, fellow cat lovers!

New here and very happy to be apart of such an active and helpful community

So, I have these three cats...

One of them is about nine months old, and it's a boy. The other two are sisters and are just shy of three months (all strays). I love these guys.

I live on the third floor of my apartment and am usually gone anywhere from 10-14 hours a day for work, not getting home until about 1-2am. While most of the time they're pretty well behaved, sometimes when I get home they go nuts and start chasing each other around the apartment.

Does this bother me? Not in the least. Unfortunately, my neighbors down below don't feel quite the same way and complain about the noise factor. While I definitely sympathize, I'm not really sure what I can do. I've tried separating them, taking their toys away for the night, holding them, ignoring them, changing the temperature, feeding them before bed, but nothing seems to be a guarantee.

I've tried setting up a time to talk to the neighbors to try and explain things, but they refused...

I am getting them fixed later next month (that's when their appointment is), but in the mean time I'm in a bit of a jam. I don't want to yell at them, because they aren't really doing anything wrong. They're just being kittens!

Any thoughts?
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Firstly, I am very glad you are getting them fixed in a mixed sex household.

Secondly, it is normal behaviour. I have never lived in a flat or apartment but I can imagine it could be a problem. The only suggestion I can make is laying matting of some kind to cushion the sound going through the floor.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for the response!

If I can find some affordable padding, this would definitely be the best way to go, though they'd still be confined to the one room. I hope this isn't cruel.

My co-worker suggested crating them in an enclosure big enough for a litter box and food. While I wouldn't mind doing this for a couple of hours, an 18-hour a day time span is something I find to be inhumane. They shouldn't spend their entire kittenhood locked up in a cage

Thanks again for posting! <3

Last edited by marie73; 01-04-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

try getting a carpet first...in general, cats do go crazy when their owners come home! you do not want a 'zombie' kitty!
artiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Could you try leaving the radio or TV on (low volume)? One, if they had some "human" sounds all day the might be a little more mellow and not *quite* so crazy when you get home, and two it might be good background noise to make the kitten sounds less obvious to your neighbors. Rugs or mats are another excellent suggestion!
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

A carpet or some kind of mat is a really good idea. Sometimes carpet stores have remnants and they sell them really cheap. Even if you have to buy several mismatched pieces to cover the whole floor it is probably your best bet, kittens will grow up and mellow out and hopefully you wont use the carpets anymore (who knows you may start a new decorating trend). Also, the tv or radio is a good idea. Whatever you do, don't crate them, they are just being kittens, hopefully it will get better.
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Carpets won't help much. My girls sound like a herd of elephants running around, and my place is carpeted.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I live on the second floor with apartments above and below me, and at 7 and 4 years old, my cats still get the "crazy runs" from time to time. My best advice for you and your neighbors is to just live with it. It's not going to happen all the time and there's not really much you can do about it. I've had plenty of neighbors living above me with small children, large dogs, cats, etc. and all make a fair amount of noise. It's all about how people react.

Maybe supply the complaining neighbors with a free set of earplugs?
aniela26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

This is Normal Cat Behavior. We have 3 male cats and the "2 brothers" go tearing around quite often. I have 2 Armarkat Cat trees. Model 7401. There are 10 rope scratching posts, 3 nice perches, condos, ladders. When I set them side by side they really are enjoying them more. This alternative activity may help...
brotheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My 4 romp around the apartment pretty frequently. I imagine they make a fair amount of noise downstairs, but our landlords, who live downstairs, are pretty understanding. They have a small child who cries all the time, and they often bring her to our window to watch the cats sometimes.

But, in your case, I would recommend a good plush carpeting or something with a tight knit with a nice thick pad underneath.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement