live birds - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default live birds

i have a bird feeder over my balcony, and it drops bird feed on the floor....today (have 2 cats -male siamese, black domestic female) when i was sleeping wtih the balcony door open for the cats, i heard a noise out there...my siamese comes in and jumps on my bed, and looks at the balcony door..i knew something was up..i got up and went into kitchen to get cat food, and then i heard a noise against the living room wall....a live dove was trying to get away from my black kitty...the dove must have been caught when i went into kitchen...was i ticked,,,i know most of the time they will be alive, the 4th live bird in 3 months...they are damaged, cannot fly....so i have to take the bird away, and put it to its death...i just hate this, i cannot stand killing the birds, but they are allready half tortured to death....i quess the bird feeding has to stop, because i have too much feelings for the birds......

Last edited by ronss; 12-29-2012 at 05:21 PM.
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

its over with,,,,no more bird feeder,,,it was a mistake, did not think the cat would get that rough with the birds...
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It was the right decision to stop feeding the birds. Cats are just doing what they do best in the wild and can't be faulted here. Cats and birds don't mix. I have two bird feeders outside a screened-in porch and if they could the cats would eat those birds! As it is, the birds are quite used to the cats now that they know the cats can't get at them and frankly the cats are so old they stopped chasing years ago. Perhaps you could put up a screen and enclose the balcony? You'd have to build in a way to keep the feeder full though.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Another thought is to put bells on the collars of the cats. That might give birds an advance warning.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I loved my bird bath and watching the birds. I had to give it up because of these two semi- feral cats I rescued. After a couple of bird deaths, it was obvious it wasn't going to work. I tried several things first and researched it but from what i can see, the cats can jump straight up 6 feet in the air, climb trees and sneak up on a bird. I sure miss my birds.
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Unrealistic to expect a predator to ignore favored prey when it's constantly in its face.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

You think you've got problems ...

In less than 2 weeks my cat has brought me 5 avian "presents." In the past ~1-1/2 years there's been about 25 of them. Most have been dead by the time I saw them, but a couple times I've had to do mercy killings, and a couple other times she did not kill the bird and I caught it and set it free after chasing it around my house for a while. I doubt they lived long afterwards.

All but 3-4 of these birds have been the same species (Pine siskins, very tame birds), and all of them she's caught on my balcony when the bird alights on the balcony railing. Yesterday I did some dramatic things to my balcony which I hope will solve the problem, but I've got my fingers crossed.

It's just something you have to put up with when you have a cat.
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty-The-Cat View Post
It's just something you have to put up with when you have a cat.
I disagree. Cat's are predators, yes, and it's their natural instinct to go after birds, but ultimately it's your responsibility to take the necessary measures to prevent your cat from killing them. It is definitely possible to do so.

Preventing the cats from getting the birds is the right thing to do. In the OP's case, removing the feeders is probably the easiest solution but not necessarily the only one. If the problem is the seed landing on the balcony, you could try hanging the feeder far enough over the side, that way seed would fall on the ground instead. You could also put up some sort of barrier between the cats and birds. I have used deer netting as a barrier in the past which works well because it is light, easy to install, and not very visible from a bit of a distance.

I have bird feeders on my balcony, and my cats do go out on the balcony, but they have never killed any of the birds. I have always hung the feeders over the side so no or very little food ends up on the balcony. I took a Shepard's hook and bent it, then wired it to the railing so the feeders hang about a foot out. I've also noticed that the seed mixes with a lot of filler seeds are scattered very easily and end up everywhere as the birds sift through to find what they really want to eat, so I avoid feeding those. These two things seem to keep the birds only on the feeders and not on the balcony, so the cats can't get at them. My cats are only allowed out when I am close by and able to keep an eye on them as well. The last place I lived, I also put up deer netting to discourage them from jumping on the railing.
Hopefully that gives you some idea of how you can both enjoy the birds and allow the cats on your patio without having any little birdy deaths on your hands.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Those are great ideas. With the bird bath, I considered putting netting or something around it but then I have to wash and fill it each day. It was on a pedestal so I put that up on blocks but it attracted birds and they would land on walls and places that these cats could stalk them. I had the bird bath away from anything the cats could leap from and there was nothing near the cats could hide in but I saw the cat leap straight up 6 feet in the air, knock the bird down and then get it. I gave up the bird bath. The idea was to enjoy the birds not, endanger them.
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement