Ultrasonic noise emitter. Cruel or not? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Ultrasonic noise emitter. Cruel or not?

Toby knows *no* and *down*, but he just stares at me and waits for me to come over and get him down.

This device works wonderfully. I say *down* and he just looked at me, but when I pressed the button he jumped down in less than a second. The only thing is is that he got down so fast, and seemed so bothered, that I am wondering if it caused him any pain.

Toby is a major counter surfer. Trust me, nothing has worked, citrus peals, tape, foil, squirt gun - nothing fazes him. You don't need to give me suggestions as I've thoroughly read everything about it. Even if nothing is on there he uses it as a way to get into the cabinets and is pawing down my glasses.

I've found similar devices advertised for dogs and cats, this one just says for stopping barking dogs.

He definitely knows that I am the source of this, and his behavior towards me is still very affectionate afterwards with no signs of fear from me. So, short version... is this causing any pain that I should be concerned with?

Sunbeam® Handheld Sonic Egg™ Bark Control - Training & Behavior - Dog - PetSmart

This has been so effective (I've used it 3 times today) that I may look into the ones that are motion activated for outside to keep the neighborhood cats out of my yard.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have peculiar hearing and can hear cat deterrents that people put in gardens - it can be quite uncomfortable for me so I assume it's worse for an animal.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
I have peculiar hearing and can hear cat deterrents that people put in gardens - it can be quite uncomfortable for me so I assume it's worse for an animal.
I'm okay with "quite uncomfortable" (sorry all), I just don't want actual pain .