Desperately needs help (cats spraying) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Desperately needs help (cats spraying)

My name is Karen and I have two older cats. Just recently they started urinating on my carpet and I don't know what to do. I have tried things the Vets have told me to do such as steam cleaning the carpets and using their products. I now have my floor covered with pet pads "that looks really good when guest comes over". Does anyone have any suggestion before my husband makes me get rid of them. They are my babies. "HELP"

Last edited by Karen Brown; 12-31-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Karen Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Try introducing an extra litter box and possibly changing your litter.

I am not being nasty because we are all different but I think you should tell your husband that you will not even consider getting rid of them.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

First off you need to know whether this is a medical issue or a behavior issue. If it is medical anything we suggest wont solve the problem if it is approached behavioral.

I just went thru this with a friend of mine. She has two senior semi feral kitties ( indoor only) that started peeing in the house 4 years ago. She was desperate. Her whole house was closed off and she put in wood floors to maybe stop them from peeing and pooing outside the box. They kept right on peeing and pooing outside the boxes. She was at her wits end.

The vet said it wasn't a medical issue so we proceeded to put Feliway plugs ins (Cheapest on Amazon in pkg of 3) by their cat boxes and any where they were hanging out. We got new cat boxes and used Cat Attract litter by Dr Elsey in all the boxes. She was advised to take the covers off the boxes also. And to clean ALL areas thoroughly with Natures Miracle where they had kept peeing so they wouldn't be smelling the cat urine to keep peeing there.

I also advised playing with them every day for play therapy. I would of had her give Compusure Liquid to help settle them down but they were too feral and we were trying to keep their stress level at a minimum.

I am happy to report in a matter of a couple weeks they did start using just the boxes and not peeing around the house. She had to leave them for a week and have a cat sitter which concerned her. And she had company coming. They did beautifully. All her door are back open in her house and problem resolved.

In my opinion adding an extra box make no difference in solving this type issue. Ive never gone by that rule. Esp since I had fluctuating numbers of foster cats transitioning thru my home to their forever homes. Keeping boxes clean is very important and changing litter.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I was primarily suggesting the additional litter box as a possible alternative to pet pads but it did work for me once.

I had two adult cats (one elderly, the other mature) who were indoor / outdoor but very clean while inside. They had happily shared a litter box for ages. The oldest of them started having accidents - it was checked and not physical. There had been no major changes and she didn't appear unduly stressed. We added an extra box and the problem stopped - although after that they both used both boxes - one for weeing and one for pooing which was slightly bizarre. The problem never recurred.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement