Brought outdoor cat in to live with indoor cats and she's bad - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I think that just has to do with introductions. Cats sent like dogs, you can't just throw them together and expect them to get along. They are very territorial. I would keep the new one in a separate room for a few weeks and swap bedding/ toys /!: put food dishes on opposite sides of the door so they get use to each other more

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've been in a similar situation for a year now. I think the reason Nikita acts like that is wise: she's teaching Prince not to even think of trying to push her over like he did to Princess, who now lives in fear of Prince on my bed and has lived so for 1.5 years.

The only thing that has helped mellow Nikita out is for me to lavish reassurance on her. As she becomes more settled with me and the home, she also projects less of her anxiety on Prince.

It's still bad, but not nearly as bad as it was at the beginning.

The key is to reassure the newcomer, in any way that you notice she gains reassurance. Also, if you keep yourself optimistic that this will only improve, your inner calms transmits to the cats and improves things. And remember that cats and their behavior and their dynamics change enormeously with time, and not gradually but in sudden, huge leaps that you never expected.

I used to agonize that I'd have to send Niki back to the streets, so I can understand your feeling.

Adopting a new cat is not easy, it's a challenge to your ability for determination, investment and self-assured optimism. And when one of the huge leaps suddenly occurs, the satisfaction is just too big for words.
Straysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Have you tried Feliway?
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat Addict

she's really pretty. i'll trade you my youngest siamese for her (j/k). houdini looks like the one sitting up by the tv in the video.

i introduced my cats slowly and everything was fine until the four-month-old became a year old and decided to chase the four-year-old. baci has a good 4 lbs. on houdini, but he runs from him so of course houdini chases. it must be an alpha male thing most of the time but houdini scratches me and bugs diotima (15 y.o.) sometimes. we both just kind of scream and growl though and he stays away from us when he's being naughty.

now it's down to a minimum. they'll all get together in my bed, and baci only hisses in fear about half the time. the other half he licks houdini's head so i'm not worried. but it really is like he's trying to play and doesn't realize how rough he's being. he's sweet but he definitely has a streak.

just go back to the slow way, but she might be a diva who's only happy when she's running the household. i don't know if cats give in to something like that or if it's a constant battle.

i need a cat like her to play with houdini instead of the quiet wussy giant i have.

good luck!
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement