White cats outdoors - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default White cats outdoors

Are white cats more at risk outdoors? At night they sure stand out. I worry about other cats and coyotes altho so far I have been able to keep him in at night.
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

My boyfriend's mom found a white cat living outside her house. He was always beat up, but he also didn't have any front claws. (In Indiana, where we are from, it isn't against the law to declaw animals, although it should be.) So I am guessing it was a little bit of both.

She couldn't bring him in because they already had five cats, but three of them went with my boyfriend's sister, so now little white kitty (Charlie) is living inside safe and sound.

I would say all cats have a chance of being hurt. Sorry I couldn't help.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

All white cats are often deaf, mostly if they have blue eyes I believe. Cats that have heterochromia (2 diff. Colored eyes) can also be deaf on the blue-eyed side. The gene that causes white fur and blue eyes also carries deafness.

Obviously depending on where you live all cats are at some degree if risk, but unless she's deaf or partially deaf, she's probably no worse off than any other feral or stray.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by rightsaidfed; 01-02-2013 at 09:53 AM.
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I would say that white cats are more at risk outdoors from predators, because their color stands out against all vegetation, except snow.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree with catloverami. There's a reason black cats are more common than other colors...

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I don't think the cat is deaf or even hard of hearing because he comes when I call him from the outdoors and he is not even in my yard. He has green eyes. I do worry about predators. We don't have them often and they have only been spotted late at night like 2AM and so far I have the cats in by 8PM all night. He does seem clumsier than the mama cat. I always had indoor/outdoor cats while I lived here and they all lived to a ripe old age of 15 and 16 years old. I just haven't had cats for 12 years and wasn't planning on it.
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrawritsjordi View Post
My boyfriend's mom found a white cat living outside her house. He was always beat up, but he also didn't have any front claws. (In Indiana, where we are from, it isn't against the law to declaw animals, although it should be.) So I am guessing it was a little bit of both.

She couldn't bring him in because they already had five cats, but three of them went with my boyfriend's sister, so now little white kitty (Charlie) is living inside safe and sound.

I would say all cats have a chance of being hurt. Sorry I couldn't help.
Please give your boyfriend's Mom a big thank you for being so kind to 'little white cat'. It's hard on a cat being outside They can survive, but not without claws.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

White cats are extremely sensitive to the sun and often get skin cancer if they spend a lot of time outside without sunscreen. The ears and areas of thinner fur are the biggest problem areas.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Ditto doodlebug--but it's not only white cats--it's any cat w/ white ears or nose. I have a black and white cat, Erik, w/ precancerous ears (actinic keratosis). He is no longer living outside but he will probably eventually develop cancer.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement