How do your cats react to strangers? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Speaking of bratty cats - I used to have a cat years ago that LOVED pantyhose. Every time my aunt used to come over; she was one of those old fashioned ladies, who always wore a skirt and pantyhose, she would sit on the couch and the cat used to come out from under the couch and run her nails down the back of her legs. To say the least, my aunt would freak out, but the cat never drew blood. She just liked tearing the hose not hurting the person. After a while, my aunt used to watch out for the cat and then the cat got stealthier so she could sneak up on her and tear up the pantyhose. I know it drove my aunt crazy, but it always made me chuckle

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Both of my kitties willingly accept scratches from anyone! Takes Kira a tad longer to warm up, but still loves anyone who will give her attention. The problem we have with company is that they stand in the door to talk, and don't realize that we have two escape artists looking for a way out. There have been a few times I've had to chase the cats around the neighborhood. Busy road and a forest nearby- not really cat friendly.
Apocrypha428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat

If my cats aren't asleep, sometimes they will come out and visit. Rico is a lot more socialable than Mitsey is.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My cats were both in the family room with me on Christmas Eve, when my son rang the doorbell. Both cats froze and looked at me with big eyes. Immediately thereafter, and at exactly the same time, Abby ran to the door to see who was there, while Muffs ran into my bedroom to hide under the bed! I got a chuckle out of their different responses. When she was younger, Muffs would have stayed in hiding...but these days, after a few minutes, she will come out to investigate. She's getting a little braver nowadays. Abby is not afraid of strangers, although she's not too cuddly with anyone other than me.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat Addict

This is embarassing. About 1wk after ET came on board, 1 cat lady came visiting, ET hissed at her. Then months later, a friend's 3 year old daughter was very keen in seeing ET, came visiting, they got hissed at too. Both times, he went under the fish tank rack and hissed at our visitors when they went near him. Even when the other feeders he knew came visiting, he will hide under too, minus the hissing, lol. He seemed ill-mannered, but what to do with a super timid cat?

Whenever he hear someone at the door, whether they were passing by or stopping by, ET will dash back to his room and then hide.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cat Addict

When our doorbell rings, or someone knocks or comes in there are three cats wanting to see who's come over. Torri runs for somewhere high up where she can observe from afar, but none of them really hide.

If the person steps into the house, especially through our main door, they are happily greeted by the boys. Jitzu waits until they've settled in to wander over and assess them. The boys LOVE company, and have gotten quite close to some of our closest friends. Doran, in particular, LOVES his 'Uncle' B...who loves beer and loves watching Doran beg for his favorite toy - beer bottle caps. It's quite cute to see Doran get all excited when he knows his 'Uncle' B has just come in.

Muffin just loves being petted and getting cuddles, he doesn't care who's doing it.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Clem will greet the person who's visiting and kinda introduce himself. Bandit on the other hand, you would not know we had another cat in the house because he hates strangers and hides til they leave

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Firelove89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I like cats who love attention no matter who you are. I've met many cats in my life, and most have treated me like I was part of their extended family. Most of the cats at our local Humane Society LOVE it when I come visit. I've had a few give me hugs, and do cute things to make me laugh. I think they know I like them. I have a friend who owns four cats, and one of them is a Bombay named "Shadow". I hear he's quite a character. I can't wait to meet him & the other cats one of my friends has.
ndiniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Mine run upstairs to hide as soon as the doorbell rings. If someone comes in the house for awhile, Squeek might come to peek at them, but they usually stay hidden.
CJinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Our cats run and hide and cower under the covers or under the bed. The little black one, BB, who was not a litter mate, will eventually walk out and look from a distance. RARELY, he will allow someone to get near him.
We don't entertain much and they were not exposed to lots of people as kittens. I think that is the key and I would do things differently next go around.
wallycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement