How do your cats react to strangers? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have 3 cats. 2 are shy to begin with and hide or keep their distance with strangers. The 3rd is very open and friendly with anyone, and quite comfortable wherever I take him, including the vet.
kaikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My cat isn't exactly shy with visitors, but is definitely aloof. She wants to hang out with us, but doesn't want strangers to pet her or pick her up. She'll usually be sitting underneath an end table where (she thinks) she's out of reach. If someone other than me picks her up, she'll be twisting her body wanting to be put back down immediately. She has a gentle temperament, though. With me, she's quite affectionate. She's still young, so very playful.

When I went on vacation for three weeks last year, I left her in the care of some trusted, longtime friends. They have a young son (who was 8 at the time) and a cocker spaniel. Mogwai (my cat) isn't used to kids and didn't have any prior experience interracting with dogs. Once at my friends' house, she was in hiding for the first week (!), taking refuge in her pet carrier and hissing at anyone trying to remove her from her hideout. It's only after that first week that she became more adventurous and started exploring their house. She eventually became friendly and affectionate with the whole family----even the dog! She would playfully jump on the dog's back.

Mogwai
Attached Thumbnails
How do your cats react to strangers?-mogwai-3-.jpg  

Last edited by Hairball; 01-04-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have 3 cats that run to the door when the doorbell rings. But if I am by myself sometimes the Siamese growls before he goes to the door. I wanted my cats to be social when friends come over so I started chicken training when they were young. When friends and family came over I had them give them some chicken (or treats). Now they associate visitors with treats. They run for the door when the doorbell rings and there is no hiding when anyone comes over! They still get treats from friends/family but not as often.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
bivlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Yuki is very curious but timid at first. She prefers to size the stranger up from a distance then her curiosity wins out and she'll go over for a sniff. Any sudden moves and she'll run and hide though. Maybe it's because she's a Bengal?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Premier Cat

People who have lots of visitors, including when the cats are kittens, will have cats who are more warm towards strangers. I tend not to have a lot of guests--just a few close friends--so I've never really had cats who were immediately OK w/ strangers. Right now, of my 4:

- Calvin is probably the most chill around strangers. He warms up fast and seems unbothered. I adopted him from a shelter when he was 1-2 years old.

- Jonah, whom I rescued at age 3-4 weeks, acts scared at first but comes out after 10 min or so and then he's fine.

- Conrad, who used to be a barn cat, avoids anyone new.

- Erik, who used to be a barn cat and is still semi-feral (I can pet him only sometimes, in certain circumstances), is terrified by strangers and hides in the cat room when they come.

So it varies!
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:01 AM   #26 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My boyfriend is someone they are familiar with, he comes in every other day or so to see us and help care for the kitties (he adopted Gandalf, but he lives with me and his two siblings). They now know good people can come in when they hear the doors open, but mostly, they stay away from strangers and are very afraid if anyone tries to pet or hold them. They will hide until they no longer sense the new people. (T-T)
Tokkaebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default How do your cats react to strangers?

Mine scatter like the wind. We hardly ever have visitors so it just freaks my entire crew out, dogs too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mumof7kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #28 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Our old fella is very shy. He hides under the bed when new people visit. However, our Himalayan girl is very friendly. She is definitely a candidate for catnapping if we ever let her out! Someone could very easily steal her and she would happily let them.
ecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #29 (permalink)
Cat

Orry will stay in the room with us, sniffs the visitors and after about an hour or so wanders off somewhere. Except when my mother in law visits. He really likes her and lets her pet him all the time.
orrymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Cat

When people come to my place, my cats and dog are all over new people. They all try to jump in their lap, except Samir, who isn't really a lap cat, but he will rub up against people to get a pet in.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement