How do your cats react to strangers? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default How do your cats react to strangers?

We currently live in a motel/apartment complex, and we're friends with quite a few of our neighbours. It's not uncommon for someone to knock on our door late at night with a six pack of beer, or a platter of food, or whatever. Everyone is always very taken with our kitties, and they're both always so friendly to everyone who stops by.

A guy who stopped by last night just couldn't get over how nice our cats were. They came right up to him as soon as he sat down. He's a cat-lover too, but said that all the cats he's ever had always went straight under the bed the moment anybody besides him or his wife walked through the door, and wouldn't come out until the big bad strangers left. I remember as a kid, I would always get so frustrated when I went to a house with cats and the cats wouldn't let me near them. I think that was probably one of the reasons why I wasn't a real cat-lover until we adopted Coda.

How do your cats do with strangers? Are they just happy to get attention and scratches from whoever is handing them out, or do they hide under the nearest piece of furniture the moment a new person crosses the threshold?
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I have 6 indoor cats. Only one is overly friendly. Maddie thinks when the doorbell rings that someone has come to see HER! It's quite entertaining. The rest will keep their distance except Missy who warms up pretty quickly once everyone is settled. If we are having a party or crowd over for dinner, everyone gets put up in "their" room (a spare bedroom dedicated to them). Your cat's reactions may be positive if you have lots of friendly visitors. We maybe have people over every couple weeks, so it's really pretty infrequent compared to some people.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Mine vary wildly - Princess Tramp either goes out asap or retreats to the utility room, Lottie doesn't bat an eyelid whoever comes in and is willing for anyone to pet her (although she reserves her purrs for people she knows well). Baz loves visitors, Oz and Becky check them out from on top of the unit and then decide what to do. Jem is quite aloof. Weird really.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Same story as those above. One is very friendly to everyone, the other is very slow to accept new people. She doesn't hide, but she inspects from a distance at first and prefers to not be touched by new people for a long time.

Most of my previous vats have been extremely friendly.
dlowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Of my two cats, Cal is slightly more outgoing to strangers. He wants to meet everyone who comes in. Coda will usually retreat somewhere to watch any newcomers for a few minutes, and then she struts right up to them demanding their attention.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Both my boys* are extremely social and greet guests at the door. Once they sniff hands they want scratches and attention for a bit. Then they settle down and go about their business.

*the only exception is my ex husband who MowMow *HATES* with a passion. I adopted MowMow after my divorce so I don't know his problem, but the moment he hears, sees, or smells my ex he goes into deep hiding.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Blaze hides, and will continue to hide for months even if the person visits daily.

Blacky is indifferent, she may come up to them at some point in their visit, but usually she just goes about her day and ignores the fact that people are in the house.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

Both my cats hide. Not to be seen until after the visitors leave. Although my neighbor who came over to feed my cats when I was gone for a few days over Christmas, said Lily allowed her to pet her.

My previous cat, Sophie, loved everyone.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Azalia and Egypt are the most social. Egypt will come right up to strangers and greet them verbally, but does not want to be touched too much. She will put up with it in order to check out the new person and then she plops down somewhere and watches them. Azalia is a big mush and will begin rubbing up on strangers and sit on their lap to be petted extensively. Unless you get her up, she will just lay there purring away. Lacey warms up to strangers after a short while, but she just plops down in the room, but won't necessarily want to make actual physical contact. Sasha will run for the hills...there are scary strangers in the house!!!

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

mine is a little brat. She's young so she's very playfull so even if scared of a stranger she will closely approach, when she is near enough she will usually swat at him a few times with her right paw ( without claws ) and as soon as the person looks at her shell jump up and run hide behind me meowing like crazy. Repeat the process each five minutes. Usually takes 2-3 visits of the same person before she acts normally with him.
autoexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement