Kitchen counters and early mornings :( - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Kitten

My cat always sleeps with me and in the morning she became restless, also in the kitchen if I was cooking she wanted to attack all the different things i was handling... so I came to this solution. I call it the Catertainer. When in the kitchen, she watches the birds. When she wakes up in the morning she goes to watch the birds then comes back to bug me which is usually the time i need to get up anyway.

Kitchen counters and early mornings :(-img_20121124_142447.jpg

yes I know its just a stool but it works... oh and the litterbox isn't in the kitchen anymore, that was temporary when I got her as her access in the house was limited until I cleaned up.
autoexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I used the two sided clear tape and it worked. I tried the squirt bottle but one loves water so that didn't help. I heard black pepper works too.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Firelove89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

To get them to sleep longer you need to do a few things.

Before bed have a routine where you play with them until they're worn out, then feed them. This will wear out their energy, and the food will tell their bodies it's time for rest. They've hunted, and eaten, so they can sleep.

The other thing is to NOT feed them when you get up! A cat's body tells them to wake up and hunt (aka be active) before they can eat. So they'll wake up about an hour or so before you feed them. If you feed them right when you get up you're basically training them to be annoying in the mornings.

Start by feeding them an hour after you get up, or when you leave for work. They'll be extra annoying for a few days until they catch on, but if you're playing with them at night it will help.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

More great ideas! Thank you everyone! I really like the idea of the lysol wipes
Apocrypha428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post

The other thing is to NOT feed them when you get up! A cat's body tells them to wake up and hunt (aka be active) before they can eat. So they'll wake up about an hour or so before you feed them. If you feed them right when you get up you're basically training them to be annoying in the mornings.
I have often thought about this. I think I used to wait half an hour before feeding them.. and they didn't have issues then.. hmmm... my cats won't like you :p but I love the idea!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Kitten

I get the kneading on with socks in the mouth. We have to hide ALL socks and towels and anything of sort (even the kids small stuffed animals) cause my white cat Casper will howl like he's sick and then jumps on me and Kneads on my arms and things while im sleeping. He wont touch my wife or the kids its ME, lol. We usually play BIG time with the cats before bedtime to wear them out however a couple like to stay up late (like I am tonight) so we get all sorts of things happening (playing and chasing) but there is a good side to things when we do sleep (besides rest) we usually we wake up and one of us has our arms cuddled with a cat.
MeowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's a waste of valuable time, energy, and good will to try to keep cats off the counters IMO. You can't tell a cat not to get on this but not that. Life is too short.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Day One! Kitten was going crazy meowing this morning... poor 'lil man. However, once I settled down on the couch with my coffee to look around on the internet he quickly came over and is now laying on my lap. Kira doesn't seem to mind much. Since I am still on Christmas break from school (and therefore have nothing to do today!) I think I'll give them an hour before feeding. Good thing I went to bed early last night, this doesn't seem as bad being up at 8:30
Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Kitten

Really good ideas so far! One of our new kitties, Bones MD, (Bones was the name he came with, but MD was added by us for "major disaster" as this guy just has no grace or couth but we love him dearly) came from a home with no discipline and none of our other cats has ever cared about kitchen counters. We are just doing simple behavior modification...see him up there, put him down and tell him "no". He seems to be doing much better. I had a cat years ago that I tried using the spray bottle on for an issue we were having and turns out she loved the water and I would end up soaking her! After that, we found that she loved baths. Good Luck!
SteveInConverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement