Why are they peeing on everything? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Why are they peeing on everything?

So I have no idea who is doing it, but I noticed their beds smelled like pee. They had also peed on our tree skirt, so I decided to go out and buy a black light with cleaner. I was very upset because it didn't seem like the light was working. There were no spots, but I KNEW they were there. Nothing on the cat bed, nothing near the cat box, nothing nothing NOTHING.

So I bend down and start crawling on the floor where the cat bed were and voila, green. There was a bigger stain and some smaller ones, so I used some cleaner to get the smell out. I crawl around on the rest of the floor and a few other minor spots over by where the fake christmas tree was.

I decided to go up in the loft, my roommate's room, to see if maybe they had messed on the floor. As soon as I swept the light over the room, I noticed a HUGE stain on his comforter. Smelled it, it's cat pee.

The only problem is, I have NO idea who is doing it. My roommate has been in New York for over two weeks and since then, I have added a second litter box because I noticed them peeing outside of the box.

How do I find out who is doing it? What do I do? I don't think their is anything wrong with them. If I thought so, I would take them to the vet. Zigs is going to be fixed soon, so I will have my roommate see if she is sick, but I don't know who is doing the peeing. They do pee in the litter box...

HELP!!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrawritsjordi View Post
The only problem is, I have NO idea who is doing it. My roommate has been in New York for over two weeks....
Well, at least you know who's NOT doing it.....

UTI is most often the culprit. They associate the pain with the litter box, and start peeing on soft things. At this point, I'd take them in to be tested. I've been so lucky with all my girls so far (knocking wood!!), I really can't imagine dealing with this.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Well, at least you know who's NOT doing it.....

UTI is most often the culprit. They associate the pain with the litter box, and start peeing on soft things. At this point, I'd take them in to be tested. I've been so lucky with all my girls so far (knocking wood!!), I really can't imagine dealing with this.
Thank you for the laugh

I read about that as well. I am chatting with my roommate about possible solutions. He will be home in two days, so we will be able to tackle this together. We are going to get Ziggy checked out first because she needs to go to the vet for a "fixin" and if we get the all clear for her, I will take in Moosey.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

If your girl isn't spayed my money is on her. Intact cats are MUCH more likely to pee outside of the box; she's marking territory and trying to attract mates. That being said you have quite a few kitties in your sig...in my experience if you have one cat who is going outside of the box in a multicat house it's likely the rest of them are 'helping'.

One cat peed somewhere and the rest of them go 'Oh! We're supposed to pee here!' And follow suit. You need to get an enzymatic cleaner, if you haven't already. Then get your girl spayed...then comes the awful bit.

Get a jar of pennies, lock all the cats up in one room. Wait until dark and turn off all the lights, then crawl around with your light and mark the glowing areas with pennies.

When we first did this I actually cried, it was horrible. Now things are much better, but without a good cleaner it will never change.

I wish you luck whole heartedly...multicat peeing is no fun at all. Luckily an unaltered female is a fairly clear reason so you won't have to play musical vet visits to catch a uti.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Well, that does make sense. My roommate is taking her to get stayed this weekend or early next week. I've only got the two, I don't think I could handle any more right now. Maybe when I get a bigger place and have more money. I spend too much on them as it is.