do your cats wear collars? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I have 3 cats and 3 collars. They ALL wear one. They are indoor only 2 of my cats are micro chipped, but it is a royal PAIN to get that information changed if anything changes. I like the collars because that is what I would use if I found an animal. Also, I bought dog collars because the cat ones just kept breaking. I was buying a collar once every 6 months. 2 of my cats have nylon and the kitten wears a leather collar, which looks SOOO cute on him!

I take their collars off about once a month for a week or so. Even the dog gets a break from it for a while. I used to hate the bells on cat collars…until I got a kitten, then it was a life saver. He was just so busy and could hide in the smallest of spaces! He is now 12 lbs and I still keep a bell on his collar. Until he isn't quite as busy, LOL
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I don't put collars on cats. They're indoor only so I don't see much of a point. I'm confident they can't escape my house even if they wanted. There are double doors at each entrance. I've made it a point to get everyone obsessed with making sure one is closed before the other is opened.

The dogs do have a collar with an ID tag though. I put their ID tags instead of the rabies tags. It doesn't seem to bother them. They're usually only outside on a tether though.

None of them are microchipped. Animal control doesn't even have scanners here.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My hubby and I thought ET looked nice with the collar on and with the bell, we know where he is in the house or when he crept up behind us. We had him on the collar for a couple of months, then I decided to take it off because ET had been using the bell on his neck to wake us up in the middle of the nite. Since taking off the collar, I get to have some good night sleep, lol, no more sound of the bell.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Of my five permanent kitties, 4 wear breakaway collars with bells and tags. Partly because I like them, and partly because they're all black and it makes it easier to tell them apart. All are indoors only. The fifth is older and crankier than the rest and I didn't feel it was worth it to make her even slightly uncomfortable. They're all microchipped, so if she were to get out, she's still got that going for her too.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

The little bells drive Sam crazy! He much prefers the harness he wears on our walks outside
Apocrypha428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrawritsjordi View Post

If you think about it, how would you feel if you had an annoying sound in your ear every time you moved?
this is exactly my question. are they annoyed with that little jingle sound? I guess, like everything with cats, it depends on a particular cat
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusworld21 View Post
Of my five permanent kitties, 4 wear breakaway collars with bells and tags. Partly because I like them, and partly because they're all black and it makes it easier to tell them apart.

this is one of the reason for collars for me too. my cats are black siblings and sometimes I cannot really tell which one is which until I or them come closer i thought it would be cute on them, my black beauties, and I will be able to distinguish between them immediately
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I just got out the collars. Took the bells off. I put Ziggy's on her and she looked at me like I betrayed her, but now she is just fine. Moosey is napping under the bed (nightly ritual) so I will have to wait until she comes out for play time to put it on her.

Hopefully it was just the bell!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Personally, I wouldn't want to go around wearing a collar all day, so I figure my cat would probably feel the same. Plus she's mostly an indoor cat, plus I have her microchipped, so there's no point in it.
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I would like to have them wear the collars with IDs I got them, even though they are microchipped and indoor cats, just in case. But it makes one of my cats absolutely miserable. He hides and runs around like the collar is attacking him, hiding again and again. The other two are less sensitive, but still really don't like them, and so I end up taking the collars off all of the cats.
kaikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement